Part of the work of Queer Support is to provide the University of Otago and the Otago Polytechnic with queer inclusive educational resources and opportunities for professional development. Check them out below:
Reports & StrategiesA survey of University of Otago students commissioned by the Otago University Students’ Association (OUSA) has revealed that harassment is experienced by one in four students who identify as lesbian/gay/ takatāpui, bisexual/pansexual, trans, asexual, questioning and/or queer(LGBTAQ). Click here for the media release
"Campus climate for students with diverse sexual orientations and/ or gender identities as the University of Otago, Aotearoa New Zealand". Download the full survey [PDF]
How Safe and Inclusive are Otago Secondary Schools? Download our report [PDF]
Dunedin Diversity Strategy: Download the [PDF]
WorkshopsWant us to come and talk to your school/ class/ group? We run a Queer Awareness Workshop for anywhere a need for increased awareness of diversity is identified. We can come to you and will tailor our workshops to your needs. We also run workshops in our Student Support Centre. Interested? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- http://www.imlocal.co.nz/ : The I’m Local Project aims to help queer & gender diverse youth of Aotearoa to feel valued, recognised and supported in their local communities. They have loads of information and a region-by-region map of support groups for young people in Aotearoa.
- http://www.tranzgear.com/ : Tranz Gear is a group of trans* people and supporters dedicated to providing cheap items essential to the day to day living of transgender people throughout New Zealand and the rest of the world. If you are under 25, live in NZ and struggling to afford a binder you can apply to Tranz Gear to receive a binder for only $5.
- https://www.facebook.com/alphabetsoupdunedin : This is a place for young LGBTQ* people in the Dunedin community to connect and gain support. Aimed at 12-18 year olds.
- SouthTranzNZ : This is a Facebook page that is for the support of the Trans Community in New Zealand.
- http://www.rainbowyouth.org.nz/ : RainbowYOUTH (est.1989) is a charitable organisation dedicated to helping young queer and gender diverse (LGBTIQ) people up to the ages of 27, as well as their wider communities.
- http://www.outline.org.nz/ : Whatever is on your mind, from coming out, to heading out, friends to lovers, mothers to brothers… sometimes you just need to talk. Outline volunteers don’t judge or tell you what to do; they’ll provide support and information in a safe & friendly atmosphere. Phone: 0800 688 5463
- https://genderminorities.com/ : Gender Minorities Aotearoa is an organisation for transgender, takataapui, intersex, and other gender minorities. We are cross cultural, and led by peers.
- http://www.outtakes.org.nz/ : Out Takes: A Reel Queer Film Festival showcases films from New Zealand and around the world and is held in New Zealand’s major cities: Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch..
- http://www.loveyourcondom.co.nz/ : a website that provides information on keeping safe if deciding to have sex and/or be sexually active. They have resources, Q&A’s, tips, free condoms and events.
News, Events and Current Affairs
Travel and Accommodation
'Queer' is a term used to describe the many variations of sexual attraction and sex/gender identity, including intersex, transgender, transsexual, genderqueer, asexual, fa'afafine, takatapui, lesbian, bisexual and gay. Although it may not be the preferred term for everyone, it is used to challenge binary representations of sexuality, sex, and gender.