Elections and Referenda
Questions for May 2017 Referenda
- Should the Otago University Students’ Association Annual Audited Financial Statements for the year ended 31 December 2016 be received and accepted?
- Should the Otago University Students’ Association Annual Report for 2016 be received and accepted?
- Should PricewaterhouseCoopers be appointed as Auditors for the Otago University Students’ Association for 2017?
- Should Anderson Lloyd be appointed as Honorary Solicitors for the Otago University Students’ Association for 2017?
- Should OUSA financially support the redevelopment and structural strengthening of its fully owned subsidiary the University Book Shop?
- Should OUSA directly ask the Tertiary Education Minister to, “Commit to wipe all student loan debt by 2025 and make University attendance free within five years?” and then upload the Minister's response in an appropriate form on the OUSA website as soon as practicable?
- Should OUSA establish an online poll to determine the most offensive costume at the Hyde Street party and then publish the three most offensive costumes each year?
- Should OUSA support the Dunedin Hospital SOS campaign to keep the Dunedin Hospital rebuild in the centre city?
- Should OUSA lobby the University to cease development of a new animal research facility until the University has transparently consulted with students on the financial, ethical, and scientific value and implications of investing in animal-based research?
- Should OUSA support a change of government at the 2017 general election?
- Should OUSA oppose the implementation of CCTV monitoring of the student residential area by the University of Otago?
All questions require a yes or no answer.
Student Forum will be held 22 May at 1pm in the Main Common Room
Voting for the referendum will open 9am, May 29 and close 4pm, May 31
Online Referenda and Student Forums
Voting for the next upcoming referendum will open 9am, May 29 and close 4pm May 31.
Submission of referendum questions is until 4pm, April 17.
Online referenda are one of the many ways you can have your say through OUSA. Whether it's about university policy or a wider issue, you can change OUSA's stance.
Online referenda are used to guide OUSA policy; it's a direct online vote allowing every University of Otago student to have their say.
Student forums provide an opportunity for students to discuss the questions that will be in the Online Referenda. You can also submit your own questions/motions for online referenda. For example, if you think OUSA should support or oppose the Stadium, you can submit a referendum question so that students can have a say.
Want OUSA to buy a bar? Believe OUSA should have a stance on a specific political matter? If so please send a written statement reflecting this through to our Administrative Vice President, William Guy, at email@example.com by 4pm on Monday the 17th of April.
There are two easy ways to get your question into an OUSA Referendum. You can:
May 2016 Referenda Results
Should the Otago University Students’ Association Annual Audited Financial Statements for the year ended 31 December 2015 be received and accepted?
- Yes: 73.23% | No: 2.96% | Abstain: 23.81% | Total votes: 3205
Should the Otago University Students’ Association Annual Report for 2015 be received and accepted?
- Yes: 75.87% | No: 2.69% | Abstain: 21.44% | Total votes: 3199
Should PricewaterhouseCoopers be appointed as Auditors for the Otago University Students’ Association for 2016?
- Yes: 65.54% | No: 8.47% | Abstain: 25.99% | Total votes: 3201
Should Anderson Lloyd be appointed as Honorary Solicitors for the Otago University Students’ Association for 2016?
- Yes: 69.85% | No: 5.28% | Abstain: 24.87% | Total votes: 3201
Should OUSA regulate what costumes can be worn to the Hyde Street Party by prohibiting offensive costumes?
- Yes: 33.29% | No: 61.67% | Abstain: 5.04% | Total votes: 3154
Should OUSA support Helen Clark's bid for United Nations Secretary General?
- Yes: 81.7% | No: 7.61% | Abstain: 10.69% | Total votes: 3153
Should OUSA oppose potential University support staff redundancies/layoffs as a result of the University's Service Level Review?
- Yes: 48.6% | No: 26.95% | Abstain: 24.44% | Total votes: 3150
Should OUSA have a spa pool or communal bathing house?
- Yes: 54.14% | No: 40.69% | Abstain: 5.17% | Total votes: 3151
Should OUSA lobby the University to allow all University students to have physical access to all University facilities during weekend hours?
- Yes: 76.04% | No: 19.3% | Abstain: 4.67% | Total votes: 3151
Should OUSA lobby the University to make a commitment not to invest in fossil fuels?
- Yes: 72.79% | No: 16.11% | Abstain: 11.1% | Total votes: 3153
Should OUSA initiate a campaign with the Dunedin City Council and University to have large glass rubbish bins (like yellow top bins) replace the current glass bins throughout North Dunedin and the student living vicinity to reduce the glass problem?
- Yes: 85.18% | No: 9.23% | Abstain: 5.58% | Total votes: 3152
Should the following administrative/general changes be made to OUSA’s constitution?
- Yes: 55.18% | No: 8.95% | Abstain: 35.88% | Total votes: 3130
Should section 39.5 of the Constitution be
amended to make the Secretary responsible for
appointing the Independent Arbitrator of
elections instead of the Executive?
- Yes: 37.56% | No: 16% | Abstain: 46.44%| Total votes: 3131
Should the following changes be made to the conduct/execution of referendums under OUSA’s constitution?
- Yes: 49.47% | No: 9.72% | Abstain: 40.81% | Total votes: 3129
Should section 23.7 of the Constitution be amended to restrict the Executive spending above total budget expenditure?
- Yes: 52.52% | No: 14.57% | Abstain: 32.91% | Total votes: 3130
Should section 35.1 and 35.2 of the Constitution be amended to give certainty to the OUSA election date from year to year?
- Yes: 59.09% | No: 12.49% | Abstain: 28.42% | Total votes: 3107
Should section 36.3 of the Constitution be amended to introduce an additional method of nominating a candidate for the OUSA elections?
- Yes: 57.31% | No: 13.84% | Abstain: 28.85% | Total votes: 3106
Should section 37 of the Constitution be amended to introduce a minimum 3 working day voting period for OUSA elections, a maximum of 7 days voting for all elections, and a minimum of a one day voting period for by elections?
- Yes: 58.66% | No: 12.3% | Abstain: 29.04% | Total votes: 3106
Should section 38 of the Constitution be
amended to give the Returning Officer the
power to require assistance from OUSA staff in
the execution of their duties?
- Yes: 49.48% | No: 12.2% | Abstain: 38.31% | Total votes: 3106
October 2015 Referendum Results
Do you support OUSA increasing the amount of funding it provides sports teams and international clubs?
Yes 61.07% | No 30.85% | Abstain 8.08% | Total: 953
Do you support OUSA increasing the amount of funding it provides to groups who promote causes students have a specific interest in (e.g. child poverty, environmentalism)
Yes 71.56% | No 23.89% | Abstain 5.14% | Total: 953
Do you support the OUSA executive’s attempts to reform NZUSA?
Yes 58.76% | No 21.09% | Abstain 20.15% | Total: 953
Should OUSA retain or withdraw membership of the New Zealand Union of Students’ Association (NZUSA)?
Yes (Retain) 56.22% | No (withdraw) 29.99% | Abstain 13.79 | Total: 957
Do you support OUSA’s role in continuing the Hyde Street Party?
Yes 76.62% | No 19.52% | Abstain 3.86% | Total: 958
Do you support OUSA’s involvement in the Dunedin Craft Beer & Food Festival?
Yes 60.8% | No 31.13% | Abstain 8.07% | Total: 954
Should the OUSA Budget be accepted in its entirety?
Yes 58.07% | No 13% | Abstain 28.93% | Total: 954
Should OUSA alter the structure of its Executive?
Yes 37.08 | No 38.97% | Abstain 23.95% | Total: 952
Which of the following alterations to the Otago University Students’ Association (OUSA) Executive is most desirable?
Yes: Adding one full time Vice President to replace the current part-time positions of Administrative Vice President, Finance Officer and Campaigns Officer.
No: Adding one part time Vice President of Internal Affairs, one part time Vice President of External affairs and a part time generalist executive position to replace the current part time positions of administrative Vice President, Finance Officer and Campaigns Officer.
Yes 38.34% | No 30.04% | Abstain 31.62% | Total: 952