Executive Meeting Minutes

Meeting Archive

3rd June 2017
29th May 2017
22nd May 2017
15th May 2017
12th May 2017
10th May 2017
8th May 2017
1st May 2017
24th April 2017
10th April 2017
3rd April 2017
27th March 2017
20th March 2017
13th March 2017
9 February 2017
8th November 2016
17th October 2016
7th October 2016
3rd October 2016
19th September 2016
12th September 2016
5th September 2016
22nd August 2016
8th August 2016
29th July 2016
22nd July 2016
15th July 2016
1st July 2016
13th June 2016
2nd June 2016
23rd May 2016
9th May 2016
21st April 2016
15th April 2016
11th April 2016
7th April 2016
4th April 2016
31st March 2016
29th February 2016
4th February 2016
15th December 2015
8th December 2015
30th November 2015
16th November 2015
10 November 2015
4 November 2015
2 November 2015
27 October 2015
20th October 2015
9th October 2015 - Emergency Meeting
5th October 2015
14th September 2015
7th September 2015
31st August 2015
17th August 2015
13th August 2015
10th August 2015
3rd August 2015
27th July 2015
20th July 2015
7th July 2015
2nd June 2015
25th May 2015
18th May 2015
4th May 2015
29 April 2015
8th April 2015
30th March 2015
25th March 2015
16th March 2015
2nd March 2015
11th February 2015
4th December 2014
27th November 2014
11th November 2014
5th November 2014
21st October 2014
18th September 2014
11th September 2014
3th September 2014 Emergency Meeting
4th September 2014
2nd September 2014
19th August 2014
12th August 2014
29th July 2014
27th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
19th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
10th June 2014
15th May 2014 Emergency Meeting
13th May 2014
29th April 2014
15th April 2014
1 April 2014
20th March 2014 Emergency Meeting
18th March 2014
3rd March 2014
18th February 2014
4th February 2014
10th December 2013
27th November 2013 Emergency Meeting
20th November 2013
18th November 2013
4th November 2013
22nd October 2013
8th October 2013
23rd September 2013
10th September 2013
3rd September 2013
13th August 2013
30th July 2013
19th July 2013
16th July 2013
9th July 2013
7th June 2013 Emergency Meeting
4th June 2013
21st May 2013
13th May 2013 Emergency Meeting
7th May 2013
23rd April 2013
9th April 2013
21st November 2012 Standing Committee
14th March 2013 Emergency Meeting
12th March 2013
5th March 2013
26th February 2013
14th February 2013
5th February 2013
18th December 2012
28th February 2012 (Standing Committee)
9th October 2012
25th September 2012
18th September 2012
6th September 2012 (Emergency Meeting)
4th September 2012
7th August 2012
24th July 2012
10th July 2012
19th June 2012
5th June 2012
1st May 2012
17th April 2012
28th March 2012
18th March 2012 EM
13th March 2012
6th March 2012
1st March 2012
28th February 2012
17th February 2012 EM
14th February 2012
7th February 2012
24th January 2012
13th December 2011
5th December 2011
29th November 2011
15th November 2011
20th September 2011
26th September 2011
13th September 2011
23rd August 2011
16th August 2011
9th August 2011
2nd August 2011
19th July 2011
21st July 2011
5th July 2011
17th May 2011
12th April 2011
19th April 2011
21st June 2011
18th July 2011
28th June 2011
13th July 2011
14th June 2011
31st May 2011
12th May 2011
6th May 2011 EM
5th May 2011
22nd March 2011
15th Feb 2011
8th March 2011
September 28th 2010
September 22nd 2010
September 14th 2010
September 7th 2010
August 24th 2010
August 17th 2010
August 10th 2010
August 3rd 2010
July 29th 2010
July 23rd 2010
July 20 2010
July 13 2010
July 7th 2010
July 5th 2010
June 29th 2010
June 8th 2010
May 28 2010
May 07 2010
April 27 2010
13th April 2010
March 23 2010
March 16 2010
March 09 2010
March 02 2010
February 16 2010
January 19th 2010
January 12th 2010
December 18 2009
November 25 2009
November 10 2009
September 15 2009
September 29 2009

26th February 2013

MINUTES OF THE OUSA EXECUTIVE MEETING HELD IN THE BOARDROOM OF THE OTAGO UNIVERSITY STUDENTS' ASSOCIATION ON TUESDAY 26 FEBRUARY 2013 AT 5.15 PM


PRESENT
Francisco Hernandez (Chair), Zac Gawn, Lucy Gaudin, Jordan Taylor, Blake Luff, Pippa Benson, Ruby Sycamore-Smith, Gianna Leoni, and Kamil Saifuddin

IN ATTENDANCE
James Grubb (CDO), Briar Warren (Observer), Casey O'Neill (OU WTF Taekwondo Club), Sam McChesney (Critic Reporter), Darel Hall (General Manager), Pete Hodkinson (NZUSA President), Eliot Lynch (Assisting with Post Graduate duties), Dan Hendra (Communications and Events Manager) and Donna Jones (Minute Secretary)

SPEAKING RIGHTS
Moved from the Chair
01/13 THAT James Grubb, Briar Warren, Casey O'Neill, Sam McChesney, Darel Hall, Pete Hodgkinson, Eliot Lynch and Dan Hendra be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.
CARRIED U

APOLOGIES
Blake Luff and Gianna Leoni for leaving early

Moved from the Chair
02/13 THAT the above apologies be accepted.
CARRIED U

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING
Moved from the Chair
03/13 THAT the minutes from the previous standing committee meeting held on 14 February 2013 be accepted as a true and correct record.
CARRIED U

MATTERS ARISING
Travel allowance policy - Zac has been looking into other policies for a comparison. It is envisaged that $40 per day for person for food would be a reasonable allowance. Fran wished to note he strongly disagreed and thought $20 per person per day would be suffice.

This policy will be drafted and discussed at the next policy committee meeting and then brought to the executive.

INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S FESTIVAL
Discussion was held about OUSA assisting with this festival.




Luff/Leoni
04/13 THAT OUSA allocate $100 to the International Women's festival to be held in March 2013 from the Women's Officer Budget line.
CARRIED
DISAFFILIATION
James Grubb addressed the meeting to explain the attached disaffiliation form as the membership of the Otago University WTF Taekwondo Club no longer meet the affiliation requirement membership of 10. Further explanations were including with the disaffiliation form.

Casey O'Neill on behalf of the club attended this meeting to explain she has a long term injury which prohibits her from teaching any longer. She offered to answer any questions if necessary. She reiterated all members had been notified.

It would be noted that the clubs records would not be stored personally but would remain at OUSA.

Luff/Leoni
05/13 THAT the WTF's physical assets be held for one year to allow a new WTF club to affiliate and assume ownership. If after one year a new WTF club has not affiliated the physical assets will be donated to the nearest WTF club to the Dunedin Campus of the University of Otago or if not accepted to any WTF club in Dunedin City. Any remaining physical assets not accepted by any WTF Club will be otherwise disposed of by the CDO at their discretion.
CARRIED

Luff/Leoni
06/13 THAT the WTF's cash assets be held for one year to allow a new WTF club to affiliate and assume ownership. If after one year a new WTF club has not affiliated the cash assets will be used for a special club grants round available to all OUSA affiliated Asian martial arts clubs ie Taekwondo, Karate, Seishinkan and Judo.
CARRIED

Casey was thanked for attendance and she left at 5.25pm

AFFILIATION
The clauses below aren't usual with an affiliation. It was suggested that the club be contacted and naming a charity would be good.

15.2 Upon dissolution of the Club:

15.2.1 All funds remaining after debts have been cleared will be distributed to a local Dunedin Charity at the discretion of Club Committee
15.2.2 All assets will be auctioned and proceeds distributed to a local charity at the discretion of the Club Committee.

Luff/Benson
07/13 THAT the Otago Students' Spear Fishing and Hunting Club (OSSAHC) be affiliated to OUSA.
CARRIED

GRANTS PANEL APPOINTMENTS
Taylor/Benson
08/13 THAT Francisco Hernandez, Lucy Gaudin, Blake Luff, Kamil Saifuddin, Geoff Simons, James Grubb and George McLenaghen be appointed to the Grants Committee Panel for the period to 31 December 2013.
CARRIED

Luff left at 5.29pm

UNIVERSITY COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS
Human Ethics Committee - Briar Warren attended the meeting to support her desire to sit on this committee. However, the committee have requested that an elected OUSA member only be appointed. Briar was thanked most kindly for her application.

Health Sciences Division - Jordan explained the requirements for appointment to this position. He will consult with the health science division to see if a member of affiliated association can be appointed - ie Medical students association.

Jordan will contact all associated with health science and report back.

The executive decided to wait until the By Elections results were confirmed before appointing to the committees. However, if there were meetings before the 14 March someone from the executive could attend in the meantime.

Zac left at 5.30pm
Zac returned at 5.32pm

INTERNAL COMMITTEES
Fran offered to send a list of them to the executive. These will be appointed along with the University committees at a later meeting.

NZUSA
Pete Hodgkinson is here visiting. He explained to the executive NZUSA is the eyes and ears for student associations and parliament and said if anyone has matters to discuss or wish to contact them they should do so anytime.

Fran asked him if Dunedin could host a NZUSA conference instead of Otago travelling to Wellington each year.

It isn't fiscally viable for some of the northern association to travel south especially as they aren't as well off as Otago. However, he wouldn't rule it out.

EXECUTIVE REPORTING DATES
It was decided to choose the last Thursday of each quarter.

Moved from the Chair
09/13 THAT the Executive first quarter reports be due to the Secretary by 1pm on Thursday 28th March 2013.
CARRIED U

Moved from the Chair
10/13 THAT the Executive second quarter reports be due to the Secretary by 1pm on Thursday 27 June 2013.
CARRIED U

Moved from the Chair
11/13 THAT the Executive third quarter reports be due to the Secretary by 1pm on Thursday 26 September 2013.
CARRIED U

Moved from the Chair
12/13 THAT the Executive fourth quarter reports be due to the Secretary by 1pm on Thursday 28 November 2013.
CARRIED U

USNZ/OUSA MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING DRAFT
All of the executive haven't looked over this draft copy yet. Darel and Donna have perused it. This has dragged on for long enough, it must be finalised at the next meeting.

DUNEDIN PRIDE FESTIVAL
As attached - Dunedin Pride coming your way soon. This voluntary event is scheduled for 6 April. This festival aims to create visibility of the Dunedin LGBTI-Queer Community and to provide a space to celebrate diversity.

They are seeking donations by way of www.pledgeme.co.nz/804. Fran is keen for OUSA to support this by way of helping with branding and advertising and the money could come from the Queer Representative budget line.

The executive would like more information - how much do they require and how much is in the Queer Rep budget.

Tabled until the next meeting.


HYDE STREET KEG PARTY
Dan Hendra arrived at 5.57pm

Moved from the Chair
13/13 THAT Dan Hendra be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.
CARRIED U

Taylor/Saifuddin
14/13 THAT the meeting move into Committee of the Whole for reasons of commercial sensitivity at 5.58pm
CARRIED

Moved from the Chair
15/13 THAT the meeting move out of Committee of the Whole at 6.12pm
CARRIED

There has been strong resistance on the OUSA facebook page to restricting entry to the Hyde Street Key Party.

OUSA and the other stake holders' main concern is safety of the students. OUSA was approached by the Hyde Street resident's last year to assist with making this event safer. If the numbers are too large it becomes impossible to keep everyone safe, especially if emergency services need to have access to the street.

It is extremely important that this event doesn't jeopardise the decision to halt a liquor ban on North Dunedin.

There is a public forum being held in the Main Common Room at noon on Monday 4 March 2013 for all to have their say.

"OUSA is committed to ensuring that Hyde Street is run successfully and preserved as a cultural legacy for future generations of Scarfies. We want to assist the residents of Hyde Street to have a great party to demonstrate to the wider Dunedin community that students can party responsibly."


ORIENTATION GRATITUDE
A very loud applause was given to Dan Hendra and his entire events team for the BIGGEST and BEST ORIENTATION ever.

Dan Hendra left at 6.23pm
Gianna left at 6.24pm

MANIFESTO OUSA
As attached. Fran would like to endorse his election promises and obtain extra financial assistance to provide extra services and more active engagement with the student body to the tune of $82,900.

The executive had mixed views on the long list. There was a concern that these ideas had not been researched and some weren't viable.

Darel was given direction to investigate the logistics and costs for the $1 breakfasts, $2 coffee vending machine (Fairtrade please) and $3 dinners and report back to the executive.

Machining Sports Tournament - Fran suggested $2,000 be allocated towards this sporting fixture. The Vice Chancellor had expressed agreement with this idea.

Healthy Housing Audits - Zac is already heading this committee and will endeavor to look into most efficient ways of spending money.

Pippa left at 6.58pm

GENERAL BUSINESS
It's OK to ask Campaign - a pamphlet has been circulated for approval. Ruby has been working on this campaign and has applied for $10k funding once the application has been finalised.

Safety Week - This week is in the planning. Ruby agreed to have Thursdays in Black campaign run alongside this week.

Cadbury's Marvelous- Ruby will consult with AJ about this event.

Six60 gig - this Dunedin band are touring New Zealand before they move overseas. They are playing at Refuel on 20 April 2013.

Cafe idea in Recreation Centre - This idea needs to be finalised, are we going to operate it as a cafe? Is it going to be leased or owner operated?
The secretary will consult Blake and ensure this is decided on next week.

Tramping Club storage - The Tramping Club have made another request to have their store room shifted to the right hand side of the front entrance and not around the back as suggested as it isn't big enough.

Blake Luff had been in consultation with them. Fran will consult with Blake and the Tramping Club and come to a decision.

Redevelopment cost over-run - Darel informed the meeting of this over-run. The main switch board is now going to cost $60,000 and the fire system upgrade will now cost $50,000 - $60,000.

Ruby left at 7.19pm

It was noted that this would be the final executive meeting in the OUSA Boardroom owing to the redevelopments. In future the executive will be over in the Recreation Centre.


Meeting closed at 7.20pm