Executive Meeting Minutes

Meeting Archive

5th October 2016 - SGM + AGM
3rd October 2017
19th September 2017
12th September 2017
29th August 2017
22nd August 2017
23rd August 2017
8th August 2017
1st August 2017
24th July 2017
10th July 2017
26th June 2017
19th June 2017
3rd June 2017
29th May 2017
22nd May 2017
15th May 2017
12th May 2017
10th May 2017
8th May 2017
1st May 2017
24th April 2017
10th April 2017
3rd April 2017
27th March 2017
20th March 2017
13th March 2017
9 February 2017
8th November 2016
17th October 2016
7th October 2016
3rd October 2016
19th September 2016
12th September 2016
5th September 2016
22nd August 2016
8th August 2016
29th July 2016
22nd July 2016
15th July 2016
1st July 2016
13th June 2016
2nd June 2016
23rd May 2016
9th May 2016
21st April 2016
15th April 2016
11th April 2016
7th April 2016
4th April 2016
31st March 2016
29th February 2016
4th February 2016
15th December 2015
8th December 2015
30th November 2015
16th November 2015
10 November 2015
4 November 2015
2 November 2015
27 October 2015
20th October 2015
9th October 2015 - Emergency Meeting
5th October 2015
14th September 2015
7th September 2015
31st August 2015
17th August 2015
13th August 2015
10th August 2015
3rd August 2015
27th July 2015
20th July 2015
7th July 2015
2nd June 2015
25th May 2015
18th May 2015
4th May 2015
29 April 2015
8th April 2015
30th March 2015
25th March 2015
16th March 2015
2nd March 2015
11th February 2015
4th December 2014
27th November 2014
11th November 2014
5th November 2014
21st October 2014
18th September 2014
11th September 2014
3th September 2014 Emergency Meeting
4th September 2014
2nd September 2014
19th August 2014
12th August 2014
29th July 2014
27th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
19th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
10th June 2014
15th May 2014 Emergency Meeting
13th May 2014
29th April 2014
15th April 2014
1 April 2014
20th March 2014 Emergency Meeting
18th March 2014
3rd March 2014
18th February 2014
4th February 2014
10th December 2013
27th November 2013 Emergency Meeting
20th November 2013
18th November 2013
4th November 2013
22nd October 2013
8th October 2013
23rd September 2013
10th September 2013
3rd September 2013
13th August 2013
30th July 2013
19th July 2013
16th July 2013
9th July 2013
7th June 2013 Emergency Meeting
4th June 2013
21st May 2013
13th May 2013 Emergency Meeting
7th May 2013
23rd April 2013
9th April 2013
21st November 2012 Standing Committee
14th March 2013 Emergency Meeting
12th March 2013
5th March 2013
26th February 2013
14th February 2013
5th February 2013
18th December 2012
28th February 2012 (Standing Committee)
9th October 2012
25th September 2012
18th September 2012
6th September 2012 (Emergency Meeting)
4th September 2012
7th August 2012
24th July 2012
10th July 2012
19th June 2012
5th June 2012
1st May 2012
17th April 2012
28th March 2012
18th March 2012 EM
13th March 2012
6th March 2012
1st March 2012
28th February 2012
17th February 2012 EM
14th February 2012
7th February 2012
24th January 2012
13th December 2011
5th December 2011
29th November 2011
15th November 2011
20th September 2011
26th September 2011
13th September 2011
23rd August 2011
16th August 2011
9th August 2011
2nd August 2011
19th July 2011
21st July 2011
5th July 2011
17th May 2011
12th April 2011
19th April 2011
21st June 2011
18th July 2011
28th June 2011
13th July 2011
14th June 2011
31st May 2011
12th May 2011
6th May 2011 EM
5th May 2011
22nd March 2011
15th Feb 2011
8th March 2011
September 28th 2010
September 22nd 2010
September 14th 2010
September 7th 2010
August 24th 2010
August 17th 2010
August 10th 2010
August 3rd 2010
July 29th 2010
July 23rd 2010
July 20 2010
July 13 2010
July 7th 2010
July 5th 2010
June 29th 2010
June 8th 2010
May 28 2010
May 07 2010
April 27 2010
13th April 2010
March 23 2010
March 16 2010
March 09 2010
March 02 2010
February 16 2010
January 19th 2010
January 12th 2010
December 18 2009
November 25 2009
November 10 2009
September 15 2009
September 29 2009

4th June 2013


Francisco Hernandez (Chair), Zac Gawn, Lucy Gaudin, Ruby Sycamore-Smith, Rachael Davidson, Gianna Leoni, Kamil Saifuddin, Blake Luff, Keir Russell and Pippa Benson

Sam McChesney (Critic Reporter), Darel Hall (General Manager) and Donna Jones (Minute Secretary)

Jordan Taylor
Pippa Benson for lateness
Gianna Leoni and Blake Luff for leaving early.

Moved from the Chair
201/13 THAT the above apologies be accepted.

202/13 THAT the minutes of the executive meeting held on 21 May 2013 be accepted as a true and correct record.
Moved from the Chair
203/13 THAT Darel Hal, Sam McChesney and Donna Jones be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.

Meeting minutes attached for noting.

The gifts for the Gunners are yet to be purchased. We are waiting on an invoice to pay for the ammunition. Fran and Harlene haven't had their meeting yet to discuss the funding.

The meeting asked when some of the policies would be finalised.

204/13 THAT the minutes of the Policy Committee meeting held on 6 May 2013 be received.

Pippa arrived at 5.25pm

205/13 THAT the minutes of the Finance and Expenditure meeting held on 21 May 2013 be received.
206/13 THAT the OUSA Executive appoint Forsyth Barr as the investment fund managers for the $1.5 million Future Student Investment Fund and invest in low-risk interest bearing investments and that this conservative approach be reviewed in the future.

207/13 THAT the Finance and Expenditure Committee investigate the University's investment policy and work with the policy committee in establishing an OUSA investment policy.

208/13 THAT the OUSA Executive allocate $15,000 to purchase two till systems for the OUSA Recreation Centre and the OUSA Main Reception.
Gianna addressed the meeting pointing out we will be running our Te wiki o Te reo week alongside Re-Orientation from 8 - 13 July. The National week is 1 - 7 July.

A fear factor event is planned between Te Roopu Maori and the Executive is being planned along with an eating competition with a twist.

Tawhini from Te Roopu Maori attended our Managers meeting last week to ask for support during this week. It was suggested that we have posters with the names for items in Maori, we answer our telephone with a Maori greeting and endeavor to get involved by contributing to Te wiki o Te reo.


As attached, Fran is seeking funding of $15,000 for a second semester inaugural New Zealand Universities ESports Tournament.

Feedback from some students from the previous tournament. Labs were taken up with the tournament when they wanted to study.

Some of the Executive want a budget breakdown for this funding request before considering it. Also, could sponsorship be obtained for prizes etc?

Why aren't other Student Association's contributing to these Tournaments?

It was envisaged that a staff member would be employed to organise and set up this tournament so about $5,000 was requested for this.

It was noted that the Uni Games Organizing budget area was underspent due to prudent work from all concerned.

After a debate it was decided that some funding would be considered.

209/13 THAT OUSA allocate $5,000 for an ESports University Tournament Coordinator position in Semester two to come from the Uni Games Organizing budget area.

Against: Gaudin/Gawn

Blake left at 5.53pm


Zac left at 5.56pm
Zac returned at 5.59pm

A debate took place with the focus on the impartiality of the review panel and was the tightness of the time frame..

210/13 THAT the draft time frame for the Governance and Representation Review Timeframes as attached be accepted.

Meeting adjourned at 6.12pm
Meeting resumed at 6.17pm

The following timetable was then suggested. It was noted that after the panel was appointed they could all compile the submitted questions for the survey and get it out to students. Students would also be invited to submit questions.

A foreshadowed motion was then put:

211/13 THAT the following time frame for the Governance and Representation Review Timeframes be accepted.

5 June - 17 June:
OUSA President to lead fact-finding mission to find the governance and representation structures of selected student associations around New Zealand, Australia and the world (both past and present) and present a report to the OUSA Executive on the 18th of June.

OUSA President to write a Terms of Reference for the Student Governance and Representation Review Working Panel to be approved by the executive on the 18th of June. OUSA President to work with the OUSA Secretary to identify and approach four people to act as external representatives to the panel who will provide their expertise, skills and perspective.

5 June - 17th June
Applications for Student Governance and Representation Review Working Panel opened to the student body with applications closing on the 17th of June. Executive to consider applications and appoint panelists on executive meeting on the 18th June.

18 June - 5 July:
Student Governance and Representation Review Working Party meets to discuss and prepare Governance and Representation Review Survey

19 June - 19 July
OUSA President to lead engagement effort with relevant stakeholders(Pacific Islands Center, Disability Information Support Services, University etc) to give specific feedback to OUSA's Representative and Governance Structures.

8 July - 19 July
Student Governance and Representation Survey goes out to student body. Feedback window closes on 19th of July.

19 July - 30 July
Representation and Governance Review Working Panel deliberates and considers all feedback to propose a model to the OUSA Executive. Executive approves a final model to go to referenda on exec meeting on the 30th of July.

13 August - 20 August:
OUSA Referenda to be held on the proposed model.

9 September - 26 September:
OUSA elections. Held under new executive model (if proposal passes) or under old one (if proposal fails)

Pippa left at 6.10pm

Applications for students to apply to sit on this panel would be advertised on the OUSA facebook as soon as possible so the first meeting can be set up on 8 July. It was agreed a panel of 4 OUSA Executive members, 4 external appointees and 3 students would make up the panel.

Fran will get the terms of reference to a meeting for setting as soon as possible and he will forward the application form to the Secretary to update ready for the Communications Officer to advertise. All applications to the secretary@ousa.org.nz closing on 17 June.

As attached - Fran would like to work with a company in South Dunedin to share their curtain bank with OUSA so students in the scarfie area could hire them.

It was discussed that it was the landlord's responsibility to have curtains on the windows. How would the curtains be stored and administered? Who would put the curtains up? Who supplies the curtain railings and hooks?

Fran said this scheme would provide student flats with additional insulation via the provision of thermal-backed curtains to help reduce heat loss. OUSA could act as a referral and advertising agent for the Dunedin Curtain Bank as well as collecting the curtains and storing them.

There had been no staff consultation on this idea and it would require further investigation.

Eventually it was decided that Francisco would draw up a Memorandum of Understanding with the Dunedin Curtain Bank and OUSA and bring it to the next meeting.

Fran would like to initiate better transport for students. He would like to investigate cheaper airport shuttles at a cost of $10 each way.

There are some shuttles that offer cheaper shuttles providing there are enough to fill a van.

Would there have to be a centralized pick up point or would they pick up passengers from other points? This is to be investigated by Fran and tabled until the next meeting with his findings.

As attached.

It was noted that the $3 dinners aren't running now as the Recreation Centre run into compliance issues. The Dunedin City Council are investigating.

It would be proposed that OUSA will advertise $5 dinners and take orders in the mornings. Orders would be placed with bbCatering who will then prepare and deliver them to the OUSA Recreation Centre at 5pm each week day. Pick up for the orders from 5-7pm. If this idea works out further developing of the scheme will ensue.

The Recreation Manager has been involved in the creation of this trial.

212/13 THAT OUSA work in partnership with bbCatering to provide $5 Dinner Deals for 2013 and allocate $1,000 to this project from the campaigns line.
Against: Gawn/Gaudin

Should the Otago University Students' Association Annual Audited Financial Statements for the year ended 31 December 2012 be received and accepted?

95.89% Yes, 4.11% No, Total Votes 852

Should the Otago University Students' Association Annual Report for 2012 be received and accepted? 94.25% Yes, 5.75% No, Total Votes 852

Should PricewaterhouseCoopers be appointed as Auditors for the Otago University Students' Association for 2013? 87.95% Yes, 12.05% No, Total Votes 855

Should Anderson Lloyd be appointed as Honorary Solicitors for the Otago University Students' Association for 2013? 91.67% Yes, 8.33% No, Total Votes 852

Should OUSA support a 'warrant of fitness' test for a minimum standard of insulation and efficient source of heating in student flats? 94.95% Yes, 5.05% No, Total Votes 871

Should the following amendments be made to the Constitution and Rules of the Otago University Students' Association for the Executive Elections in 2014? 50.93% Yes, 49.07% No, Total Votes 856

The first four administrative questions passed the 1% required threshold. Questions five and six didn't meet the 5% threshold to pass. The Returning Officer will submit a report once he has finalised the three complaints.

213/13 THAT the meeting move into committee of the whole for commercial sensitivity at 6.52pm

214/13 THAT the meeting move out of committee of the whole at 6.58pm

The Executive and the OU Hockey Club are working with Lucy regarding their loan.

Exam Packing - Fran asked if the executive could assist him after this meeting to fill the exam packs. Ruby said she would. All were reminded to try and be available early in the morning next week to hand them out to students.

215/13 THAT nominations open for the 2014 OUSA Executive Elections at 9am 9 September 2013 and close at 4pm 19 September 2014.

216/13 THAT voting for the 2014 OUSA Executive Elections open at 9am on 30 September 2013 and close at 4pm on 3 October 2013.

217/13 THAT voting for the 2014 OUSA Executive Elections be by electronic means only.

Meeting closed at 7.02pm