Executive Meeting Minutes

Meeting Archive

13th March 2017
9 February 2017
8th November 2016
17th October 2016
7th October 2016
3rd October 2016
19th September 2016
12th September 2016
5th September 2016
22nd August 2016
8th August 2016
29th July 2016
22nd July 2016
15th July 2016
1st July 2016
13th June 2016
2nd June 2016
23rd May 2016
9th May 2016
21st April 2016
15th April 2016
11th April 2016
7th April 2016
4th April 2016
31st March 2016
29th February 2016
4th February 2016
15th December 2015
8th December 2015
30th November 2015
16th November 2015
10 November 2015
4 November 2015
2 November 2015
27 October 2015
20th October 2015
9th October 2015 - Emergency Meeting
5th October 2015
14th September 2015
7th September 2015
31st August 2015
17th August 2015
13th August 2015
10th August 2015
3rd August 2015
27th July 2015
20th July 2015
7th July 2015
2nd June 2015
25th May 2015
18th May 2015
4th May 2015
29 April 2015
8th April 2015
30th March 2015
25th March 2015
16th March 2015
2nd March 2015
11th February 2015
4th December 2014
27th November 2014
11th November 2014
5th November 2014
21st October 2014
18th September 2014
11th September 2014
3th September 2014 Emergency Meeting
4th September 2014
2nd September 2014
19th August 2014
12th August 2014
29th July 2014
27th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
19th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
10th June 2014
15th May 2014 Emergency Meeting
13th May 2014
29th April 2014
15th April 2014
1 April 2014
20th March 2014 Emergency Meeting
18th March 2014
3rd March 2014
18th February 2014
4th February 2014
10th December 2013
27th November 2013 Emergency Meeting
20th November 2013
18th November 2013
4th November 2013
22nd October 2013
8th October 2013
23rd September 2013
10th September 2013
3rd September 2013
13th August 2013
30th July 2013
19th July 2013
16th July 2013
9th July 2013
7th June 2013 Emergency Meeting
4th June 2013
21st May 2013
13th May 2013 Emergency Meeting
7th May 2013
23rd April 2013
9th April 2013
21st November 2012 Standing Committee
14th March 2013 Emergency Meeting
12th March 2013
5th March 2013
26th February 2013
14th February 2013
5th February 2013
18th December 2012
28th February 2012 (Standing Committee)
9th October 2012
25th September 2012
18th September 2012
6th September 2012 (Emergency Meeting)
4th September 2012
7th August 2012
24th July 2012
10th July 2012
19th June 2012
5th June 2012
1st May 2012
17th April 2012
28th March 2012
18th March 2012 EM
13th March 2012
6th March 2012
1st March 2012
28th February 2012
17th February 2012 EM
14th February 2012
7th February 2012
24th January 2012
13th December 2011
5th December 2011
29th November 2011
15th November 2011
20th September 2011
26th September 2011
13th September 2011
23rd August 2011
16th August 2011
9th August 2011
2nd August 2011
19th July 2011
21st July 2011
5th July 2011
17th May 2011
12th April 2011
19th April 2011
21st June 2011
18th July 2011
28th June 2011
13th July 2011
14th June 2011
31st May 2011
12th May 2011
6th May 2011 EM
5th May 2011
22nd March 2011
15th Feb 2011
8th March 2011
September 28th 2010
September 22nd 2010
September 14th 2010
September 7th 2010
August 24th 2010
August 17th 2010
August 10th 2010
August 3rd 2010
July 29th 2010
July 23rd 2010
July 20 2010
July 13 2010
July 7th 2010
July 5th 2010
June 29th 2010
June 8th 2010
May 28 2010
May 07 2010
April 27 2010
13th April 2010
March 23 2010
March 16 2010
March 09 2010
March 02 2010
February 16 2010
January 19th 2010
January 12th 2010
December 18 2009
November 25 2009
November 10 2009
September 15 2009
September 29 2009

12th August 2014

MINUTES OF THE OUSA EXECUTIVE MEETING HELD IN THE OUSA RECREATION CENTRE, ALBANY STREET, DUNEDIN ON TUESDAY 12 AUGUST 2014 AT 5.24PM


PRESENT
Ruby Sycamore-Smith (Chair), Ryan Edgar, Laura Harris, Paul Hunt, Payal Ramritu, Jess McLean, Kurt Purdon, Henri Faulkner and Hamish Barker

IN ATTENDANCE
Josie Cochrane (Critic Reporter), Zane Pocock (Critic Editor), Darel Hall (General Manager) and Donna Jones (Minute Secretary)

CONFLICT OF INTEREST
Ruby address the meeting to disclose that she and Zane Pocock the Critic Editor were dating. She openly announced this to ensure she makes it clear her awareness of the boundaries between her position as President and Critic.

She highlighted that her OUSA media interaction is through AJ our Marketing and Communications Officer.

She has made a request to the PMDL Board that she relinquishes the position of chairperson on the PMDL Board to Ryan Edgar.

Darel Hall declared he sits on the Board of Sport Otago.
Payal Ramritu declared she is a member of the International Cultural
Council and Shakti.
Paul Hunt declared he was a member of the Otago University Debating Society.

SPEAKING RIGHTS
Moved from the Chair
180/14 THAT Josie Cochrane, Zane Pocock, Darel Hall and Donna Jones be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.
CARRIED U

APOLOGIES
Mariana Te Pou

Laura Harris for leaving early.

Moved from the Chair
181/14 THAT the above apologies be accepted.
CARRIED U

MINUTES FROM PREVIOUS MEETING
Moved from the Chair
182/14 THAT the minutes of the Executive meeting held on 29 July 2014 be accepted as a true and correct record.
CARRIED U




MATTERS ARISING
Ryan advised the Executive he is away at Case Competitions in Auckland on Friday and won’t be in the office next week. He is however contactable via cell or email.

ELECTIONS POLICY AMENDMENTS
The policy committee has approved the proposed some amendments.

Clause 5.6 of the elections policy ‘In all elections on the ballot there must also be, for each position, an option to abstain from voting.’

Clause 5.6 is to be removed as it contradicts the constitution. The policy committee would like to revisit this when there is more time.

Addition of 9.8.1
Any campaign support received from a person holding a position as an OUSA executive will be considered legitimate, providing it is made clear that the person is acting as an individual, outside of their official OUSA capacity.

Addition of 9.8.2
Any campaign materials (including, but not limited to any electronic content/posts, and any physical campaign materials) received from, featuring, or endorsed by a person holding a position as an OUSA executive must clearly display a disclaimer that their support for the candidate is in no way an endorsement by OUSA.

Clause 9.14 – should read:
You must not send campaign or spam emails to university emails lists

McLean/Barker
183/14 THAT the above amendments to the Elections Policy be put for notice.
CARRIED

Laura left at 5.45pm

POSTGRADUATE COMMITTEE MINUTES
As attached.

McLean/Barker
184/14 THAT the minutes of the Postgraduate Committee meeting held on 30 May 2014 be received.
CARRIED

GENERAL MANAGER’S JUNE OPERATIONAL REPORT
As attached. Darel wished to have the following pointed highlighted. Darel invited questions.

• Working on cultural awareness training intervention for all OUSA/ PMDL staff to ensure we better connect with our international students. There is also an option for Exec training as well.
• Darel was a member of the Future of USNZ report steering group. Now this report is published with the Exec to form a position in response. Ruby will write up a focus document. Darel was first involved in the Uni ‘Games in 1987.
• Darel is monitoring the compliance and budget side of the Exec Election Campaign! This is a top priority for the OUSA. Darel is checking all documentation for risk or breaches. He will continue to monitor these.
• Staff function on 29 August organised through Rachel Enright and Lucy Gaudin. Notice went out to all staff and executive today.
• The University has surveyed students and they don’t use the handbook diary now so OUSA will look at other ways to promote key information to students. The wall planner remains popular.
• Insurance report - Premiums down slightly
Insurance value of Squash building at Present day value (indemnity) which is about 50% of replacement until earthquake strengthening done. He will get report on cost. Darel pointed out the Squash building needs to get to 34% for earthquake strengthening at present it is at 31%. This has been publicised in the past to give students using the building all the information.
• Audited Accounts – a surplus because OUSA sold assets and OUSA continued to value and increased the financial support to PMDL.
• Health and Safety – this will be a permanent item on the Executive agenda from now on. The Executive should be aware of the importance of health and safety in our busy workplace.

Barker/Faulkner
185/14 THAT the General Manager’s Operational Report for June be received.
CARRIED
OUSA-CAMPUS
Paul addressed the meeting to explain he had posted a working document on the Executive facebook page in discussion form. He wondered if sports and religious groups should be included. He intends to collaborate with team leaders around the university to gauge involvement. More later.

FINANCE AND EXPENDITURE COMMITTEE MINUTES
As attached.

McLean/Barker
186/14 THAT the minutes of the Finance and Expenditure (FEC) meeting held on 30 July 2014 be received.
CARRIED

WELFARE COMMITTEE MINUTES
As attached.

Edgar/McLean
187/14 THAT the minutes of the Welfare committee meeting held on 4 August 2014 be received.
CARRIED



OUSA WEBSITE AND THE HANDBOOK DIARY INFORMATION
Payal suggested that the information and photos of the executive that goes into the handbook diary should also be on the OUSA website for all to see. Payal will get the information to Darel and he will ensure this is done.

CRITIC – REPORTING ON THE EXECUTIVE
Payal wished to encourage discussion about informing the student body what the executive actually do each week. This could be done through Critic reporting more from the executive meetings.

It was suggested that perhaps each executive member could set up a facebook post on what they have been doing. Concern over the time this would take.

The discussion resurfaced about the introduction of timesheets for executive members again. This was considered too time consuming and not easy to track.

It was agreed that each executive member would send the secretary bullet points of what they had been up to and she would have it attached to the executive meeting agenda.

FREE BREAKFASTS – MONEY AND MANPOWER
Could there be more spreads and fruit at the breakfasts? Payal will advise the GM on needs. It will come from the Welfare budget.

MICROWAVES, ZIPS, SINKS AROUND CAMPUS
It has been asked if there could be more microwaves located in the Link area for students to use. Also a zip for hot water. The Secretary advised that the Student Support Centre manager has been looking into getting a zip installed. Payal to go and talk to Matt Tucker.

GENERAL BUSINESS
Graduation parade – there are two former staff members who wish to carry a banner this weekend as they are graduating. Mariana and Payal have also offered. Please let Ruby know via facebook if you can assist in the parade.

Meeting closed at 6.44pm