Executive Meeting Minutes

Meeting Archive

5th October 2016 - SGM + AGM
3rd October 2017
19th September 2017
12th September 2017
29th August 2017
22nd August 2017
23rd August 2017
8th August 2017
1st August 2017
24th July 2017
10th July 2017
26th June 2017
19th June 2017
3rd June 2017
29th May 2017
22nd May 2017
15th May 2017
12th May 2017
10th May 2017
8th May 2017
1st May 2017
24th April 2017
10th April 2017
3rd April 2017
27th March 2017
20th March 2017
13th March 2017
9 February 2017
8th November 2016
17th October 2016
7th October 2016
3rd October 2016
19th September 2016
12th September 2016
5th September 2016
22nd August 2016
8th August 2016
29th July 2016
22nd July 2016
15th July 2016
1st July 2016
13th June 2016
2nd June 2016
23rd May 2016
9th May 2016
21st April 2016
15th April 2016
11th April 2016
7th April 2016
4th April 2016
31st March 2016
29th February 2016
4th February 2016
15th December 2015
8th December 2015
30th November 2015
16th November 2015
10 November 2015
4 November 2015
2 November 2015
27 October 2015
20th October 2015
9th October 2015 - Emergency Meeting
5th October 2015
14th September 2015
7th September 2015
31st August 2015
17th August 2015
13th August 2015
10th August 2015
3rd August 2015
27th July 2015
20th July 2015
7th July 2015
2nd June 2015
25th May 2015
18th May 2015
4th May 2015
29 April 2015
8th April 2015
30th March 2015
25th March 2015
16th March 2015
2nd March 2015
11th February 2015
4th December 2014
27th November 2014
11th November 2014
5th November 2014
21st October 2014
18th September 2014
11th September 2014
3th September 2014 Emergency Meeting
4th September 2014
2nd September 2014
19th August 2014
12th August 2014
29th July 2014
27th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
19th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
10th June 2014
15th May 2014 Emergency Meeting
13th May 2014
29th April 2014
15th April 2014
1 April 2014
20th March 2014 Emergency Meeting
18th March 2014
3rd March 2014
18th February 2014
4th February 2014
10th December 2013
27th November 2013 Emergency Meeting
20th November 2013
18th November 2013
4th November 2013
22nd October 2013
8th October 2013
23rd September 2013
10th September 2013
3rd September 2013
13th August 2013
30th July 2013
19th July 2013
16th July 2013
9th July 2013
7th June 2013 Emergency Meeting
4th June 2013
21st May 2013
13th May 2013 Emergency Meeting
7th May 2013
23rd April 2013
9th April 2013
21st November 2012 Standing Committee
14th March 2013 Emergency Meeting
12th March 2013
5th March 2013
26th February 2013
14th February 2013
5th February 2013
18th December 2012
28th February 2012 (Standing Committee)
9th October 2012
25th September 2012
18th September 2012
6th September 2012 (Emergency Meeting)
4th September 2012
7th August 2012
24th July 2012
10th July 2012
19th June 2012
5th June 2012
1st May 2012
17th April 2012
28th March 2012
18th March 2012 EM
13th March 2012
6th March 2012
1st March 2012
28th February 2012
17th February 2012 EM
14th February 2012
7th February 2012
24th January 2012
13th December 2011
5th December 2011
29th November 2011
15th November 2011
20th September 2011
26th September 2011
13th September 2011
23rd August 2011
16th August 2011
9th August 2011
2nd August 2011
19th July 2011
21st July 2011
5th July 2011
17th May 2011
12th April 2011
19th April 2011
21st June 2011
18th July 2011
28th June 2011
13th July 2011
14th June 2011
31st May 2011
12th May 2011
6th May 2011 EM
5th May 2011
22nd March 2011
15th Feb 2011
8th March 2011
September 28th 2010
September 22nd 2010
September 14th 2010
September 7th 2010
August 24th 2010
August 17th 2010
August 10th 2010
August 3rd 2010
July 29th 2010
July 23rd 2010
July 20 2010
July 13 2010
July 7th 2010
July 5th 2010
June 29th 2010
June 8th 2010
May 28 2010
May 07 2010
April 27 2010
13th April 2010
March 23 2010
March 16 2010
March 09 2010
March 02 2010
February 16 2010
January 19th 2010
January 12th 2010
December 18 2009
November 25 2009
November 10 2009
September 15 2009
September 29 2009

20th October 2015



Paul Hunt (Chair), Nina Harrap, Chris Jackson, Zac Al-Alami, Payal Ramritu, Nick Findlay, Taotao Li, Toa Sailusi and Jonathan Martin


Debbie Downs (CEO), Donna Jones (Minute Secretary) and Josie Cochrane (Critic Editor)



368/15 THAT Paul Hunt be elected chairperson for the duration of this meeting.



Isaac Yu and Deinda Stanway

Moved from the Chair

369/15 THAT the above apologies be accepted.




370/15 THAT the minutes of the executive meeting held on 5 October 2015 be accepted as a true and correct record.


Moved from the Chair

371/15 THAT the minutes of the Emergency Meeting held on 9 October 2015 be accepted as a true and correct record.


Moved from the Chair

372/15 THAT the motions from the Emergency Meeting held on 9 October 2015 be ratified.



Moved from the Chair

373/15 THAT Debbie Downs, Donna Jones and Josie Cochrane be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.



MOU – memorandum of understanding between the University of Otago and OUSA as attached. This is to enhance the good relationship between university and the executive, promoting regular face to face communication between the two. Three avenues where direct communication can occur.

Monthly meetings between the Vice-chancellor and the President, a student executive member could make a submission to the Vice-Chancellor’s Advisory Group (VCAG) subject to her approval and a biannual summit between the vice-chancellor, executive and others appointed by the vice-chancellor. 

Paul Hunt asked to clarify if a student or an executive member can submit to the VCAG? For example could the Women’s Representative submit or does she need to go through the executive? He will report back.

Was there a level of comfort with this document at this stage? 

Jonathan Martin arrived at 5.11pm

Moved from the Chair

374/15 THAT the OUSA Executive approve the Memorandum of Understanding between the University of Otago and the Otago University Students’ Association with the clarification of who can be the OUSA representative.

Abstain: Martin


PMDL – Paul updated the executive on the proposals if the Board dissolves in terms of Arbitration if a decision needs to be made. It was agreed a panel of three consisting of a person from the community, a person from the law faculty and a student would be preferred. It would be important that any decision would need to be timely.

The CEO has been in contact with the honorary solicitors working with them on these matters. She said a senior Arbitrator would be need to appointed as an Advisory Board wouldn’t be binding.

Paul will keep the executive in the loop.

Budget 2016 – Paul had a meeting this afternoon with the 2016 President and Administrative Vice President to share some of the different budgeted ideas.

Moved from the Chair

375/15 THAT the meeting move into committee of the whole for reasons of Commercial Sensitivity at 5.19pm


Moved from the Chair

376/15 THAT the meeting move out of committee of the whole at 5.25pm



Moved from the Chair

377/15 THAT the Otago University Surf Club and the Otago University Kiteboarding Association be affiliated to OUSA.



The Executive are getting organised to host this annual event being held on 30 October 2015 in the Evison Lounge. Some invitations have been sent out.

Nina, Nick, Taotao, Zac and Payal said they wished to help with the set up and running of this event. Isaac also keen to be involved. We will enquire about the budget with Accounts office tomorrow. 

It needs to be noted there is a pizza evening on the same night so two people will be required to set this up around 6pm. Isaac will organise this.


Usually the executive photo is taken on the same night as the party but the photographer is away. It was agreed to have the photo taken on 6 November at 5.30pm. Please be at the OUSA reception area prior in formal attire.


There are up to three life memberships awarded by the Executive each year. They are announced at the Christmas Party.

Moved from the Chair

378/15 THAT the meeting move into committee of the whole for reasons of personal privacy at 5.35pm


Moved from the Chair

379/15 THAT the meeting move out of committee of the whole at 5.39pm


Please come back next week with names you would like to put forward.


Finance Officer’s absence – Nina will be away from 15 – 20 October.

Bottle Buy Back report – as distributed. This was the most successful BBB thus far. There were fewer streets that last time. 12,133 bottles brought in.

There was a loud applause congratulating Nina and her team on a fabulous job.

Moved from the Chair

380/15 THAT the Bottle Buy Back Report dated 12 October 2015 be received.


Referendum BBQ – the executive will be hosting a BBQ on the Union Courtyard over the lunch period to encourage students to vote in the Referendum.

Student Housing, Equity and Social Start-ups are subjects being worked on.

Meeting closed at 5.45pm

Signed: ____________________ Date: _____________