Executive Meeting Minutes

Meeting Archive

5th October 2016 - SGM + AGM
3rd October 2017
19th September 2017
12th September 2017
29th August 2017
22nd August 2017
23rd August 2017
8th August 2017
1st August 2017
24th July 2017
10th July 2017
26th June 2017
19th June 2017
3rd June 2017
29th May 2017
22nd May 2017
15th May 2017
12th May 2017
10th May 2017
8th May 2017
1st May 2017
24th April 2017
10th April 2017
3rd April 2017
27th March 2017
20th March 2017
13th March 2017
9 February 2017
8th November 2016
17th October 2016
7th October 2016
3rd October 2016
19th September 2016
12th September 2016
5th September 2016
22nd August 2016
8th August 2016
29th July 2016
22nd July 2016
15th July 2016
1st July 2016
13th June 2016
2nd June 2016
23rd May 2016
9th May 2016
21st April 2016
15th April 2016
11th April 2016
7th April 2016
4th April 2016
31st March 2016
29th February 2016
4th February 2016
15th December 2015
8th December 2015
30th November 2015
16th November 2015
10 November 2015
4 November 2015
2 November 2015
27 October 2015
20th October 2015
9th October 2015 - Emergency Meeting
5th October 2015
14th September 2015
7th September 2015
31st August 2015
17th August 2015
13th August 2015
10th August 2015
3rd August 2015
27th July 2015
20th July 2015
7th July 2015
2nd June 2015
25th May 2015
18th May 2015
4th May 2015
29 April 2015
8th April 2015
30th March 2015
25th March 2015
16th March 2015
2nd March 2015
11th February 2015
4th December 2014
27th November 2014
11th November 2014
5th November 2014
21st October 2014
18th September 2014
11th September 2014
3th September 2014 Emergency Meeting
4th September 2014
2nd September 2014
19th August 2014
12th August 2014
29th July 2014
27th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
19th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
10th June 2014
15th May 2014 Emergency Meeting
13th May 2014
29th April 2014
15th April 2014
1 April 2014
20th March 2014 Emergency Meeting
18th March 2014
3rd March 2014
18th February 2014
4th February 2014
10th December 2013
27th November 2013 Emergency Meeting
20th November 2013
18th November 2013
4th November 2013
22nd October 2013
8th October 2013
23rd September 2013
10th September 2013
3rd September 2013
13th August 2013
30th July 2013
19th July 2013
16th July 2013
9th July 2013
7th June 2013 Emergency Meeting
4th June 2013
21st May 2013
13th May 2013 Emergency Meeting
7th May 2013
23rd April 2013
9th April 2013
21st November 2012 Standing Committee
14th March 2013 Emergency Meeting
12th March 2013
5th March 2013
26th February 2013
14th February 2013
5th February 2013
18th December 2012
28th February 2012 (Standing Committee)
9th October 2012
25th September 2012
18th September 2012
6th September 2012 (Emergency Meeting)
4th September 2012
7th August 2012
24th July 2012
10th July 2012
19th June 2012
5th June 2012
1st May 2012
17th April 2012
28th March 2012
18th March 2012 EM
13th March 2012
6th March 2012
1st March 2012
28th February 2012
17th February 2012 EM
14th February 2012
7th February 2012
24th January 2012
13th December 2011
5th December 2011
29th November 2011
15th November 2011
20th September 2011
26th September 2011
13th September 2011
23rd August 2011
16th August 2011
9th August 2011
2nd August 2011
19th July 2011
21st July 2011
5th July 2011
17th May 2011
12th April 2011
19th April 2011
21st June 2011
18th July 2011
28th June 2011
13th July 2011
14th June 2011
31st May 2011
12th May 2011
6th May 2011 EM
5th May 2011
22nd March 2011
15th Feb 2011
8th March 2011
September 28th 2010
September 22nd 2010
September 14th 2010
September 7th 2010
August 24th 2010
August 17th 2010
August 10th 2010
August 3rd 2010
July 29th 2010
July 23rd 2010
July 20 2010
July 13 2010
July 7th 2010
July 5th 2010
June 29th 2010
June 8th 2010
May 28 2010
May 07 2010
April 27 2010
13th April 2010
March 23 2010
March 16 2010
March 09 2010
March 02 2010
February 16 2010
January 19th 2010
January 12th 2010
December 18 2009
November 25 2009
November 10 2009
September 15 2009
September 29 2009

8th August 2016



Laura Harris (Chair), Jarred Griffiths, Bryn Jenkins, William Guy, Bayden Harris, Alexia Cochrane, Rachel Goh and Marianna Te Pou


Tony Ballantyne (Humanities Division Pro Vice Chancellor), Debbie Downs (Chief Executive Officer), Hugh Baird (Critic Editor), Joe Higham (Critic Reporter) and Donna Jones (Minute Secretary)


Sean Gamble, Jesse Hall, and Rob Pomare

Mariana Te Pou for lateness

Moved from the Chair

273/16 THAT the above apologies be accepted.



Moved from the Chair

274/16 THAT Tony Ballantyne, Debbie Downs, Hugh Baird, Joe Higham and Donna Jones be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.




275/16 THAT the minutes of the executive meeting held on 29 July 2016 be accepted as a true and correct record.



Mr Ballantyne was invited to address the meeting to inform the executive about the university as it reviews and restructures its humanities division.

He said they will start management of change processes within Anthropology and Archaeology, English and Linguistics, History (with change also probable in Art History), Languages and Cultures and Music.

The university is currently meeting with people who work in all the affected departments outlining the process for change.

He is committed to preserving the university’s status as a “diverse and comprehensive humanities division”. However, there will be changes and they are about cutting costs and saving money.

There has been a loss of students because of severe financial difficulties.  In 2011 there was 5905 students and now there are 4750.  A 20% drop.

The income stream has significantly decreased.

There are two key principles he said. “Balance the costs – there will be changes in semester two next year” and the other fundamental principle is the division will offer an assurance that the student doing a course will be able to complete it.  For those of the majority of courses there will be no changes at all.

Mr Ballantyne said he has given Critic a statement.

Mr Ballantyne has been consulting with Laura on the changes and principles and will keep OUSA informed.  He has been open and honest with students, staff and the public. 

There was concern expressed about the affect this is having on staff morale and hopes they are being supported.

Rachel Goh expressed her concern about the recent increase in International Student fees of which many are Humanities students.

Mr Ballantyne was thanked for coming and he left the meeting.


Thus far there have been 750 enrolment forms back in.  This issue of Critic is excellent with a pull-out enrolment in the centre fold with good advertising on the covers.

The 12 August at noon is the final day that students can enrol. 

The drive with letterbox drops, college visits and generally encouraging students to enrol has been extraordinarily successful Jarred said.

It was asked if the Elections Sub-committee meeting minutes could be attached to the executive agenda to keep everyone informed and give a good overview.  Jarred informed the Executive that the most recent meeting of the sub-committee was cancelled due to snow. 



276/16 THAT Shinead Williams de Bique and Francis Bradley be appointed to the Education Committee for 2016.



Jarred informed the meeting that the Policy Committee had been working on a draft elections policy.  This will split the policy into procedures, and separate election rules for candidates to help simplify things.

He will send out a draft copy soon for discussion after the Policy Committee on Friday.  Can you please supply Jarred with feedback?



As attached.  William explained the affiliations were incomplete, some didn’t hold an AGM and information like ‘names’ should be replaced with ‘officers’ etc was incorrect on the forms so this would be deferred until the next meeting.

Mariana arrived at 5.13pm


As attached. The minutes attached are correct however the overview document has a couple of typos so William will have this corrected and resent to the Secretary.


277/16 THAT the minutes of the Grants round held on 29 July 2016 be received and the recommendations be approved.

  • Otago University Tennis Association $1565.00

  • University of Otago Cycling Club $1000.00

  • Brunei Students Association $460.00

  • Muslim University Students Association $1000.00

  • Lacrosse/OULAX $1000.00

  • Student Christian Movement $1000.00

  • Flag Football $800.00

  • Dunedin Ultimate Disc $1000.00

  • Otago Dance Association $1000.00

  • Animals, Aquatic Plants & Ecological Society $300.00

  • Snow Sports $ 750.00

  • Otago University Hockey Club $1044.00

  • Otago University Men’s Basketball $1000.00

  • OUSA Futsal Club $1000.00

  • Sri Lankan Students Association $500.00

  • Otago Korean Students Association $1000.00

  • ATOM $860.00

  • Kimberley Dainty $500.00

  • Katherine Lockton $200.00

  • Katelyn Thorn $500.00

  • Davina Waddy $750.00

  • Scout Barbour-Evans $238.00

  • Isaac McDonald $750.00

  • David Wang $250.00

  • Maddi McLean $250.00

  • Nicholas Adams $40.00

  • Isksun Cho $40.00

  • Zac Hewlett     $40.00

  • Reegan Lastovicka $40.00

  • David Van Der Hulst $40.00

  • Conor Armstrong $40.00

  • Shannen Wright $40.00






278/16 THAT the meeting move into Committee of the Whole for reasons of Commercial Sensitivity at 5.20pm           


Moved from the Chair

279/16 THAT the meeting move out of Committee of the Whole at 5.25pm



Cultural Carnival – this was a successful event.  Rachel and her team did a great job.  She wished to thank those who assisted especially Mariana Te Pou.

OUSA elections – promotions are underway.  A video has been made of 2 past Presidents as part of the promotion. This will be shown on our social media soon.

There is an information evening set for 22 August to talk about the roles and invite interest.  It would be great if the executive could be available to talk to students.

Katrina will be asked to send a marketing plan to the Executive at their request to know what is going on. Donna will follow this up.

Alexia raised an idea to have a quiz/flowchart to assist people in deciding which positions they may be suitable to run for.  Alexia to follow-up with Katrina.

Postgraduate booth – Mariana is setting up a PG area in the Link at the University information day from 10-2pm.

Art Week – next week is the opening of OUSA’s Art Week.  There will be a Thursdays in Black theme from the executive during this week.  A doodle poll has been set up for the executive to assist with this so please sign up.

Meeting Closed at 5.30pm