Executive Meeting Minutes

Meeting Archive

31st October 2017
24th October 2017
5th October 2016 - SGM + AGM
3rd October 2017
19th September 2017
12th September 2017
29th August 2017
22nd August 2017
23rd August 2017
8th August 2017
1st August 2017
24th July 2017
10th July 2017
26th June 2017
19th June 2017
3rd June 2017
29th May 2017
22nd May 2017
15th May 2017
12th May 2017
10th May 2017
8th May 2017
1st May 2017
24th April 2017
10th April 2017
3rd April 2017
27th March 2017
20th March 2017
13th March 2017
9 February 2017
8th November 2016
17th October 2016
7th October 2016
3rd October 2016
19th September 2016
12th September 2016
5th September 2016
22nd August 2016
8th August 2016
29th July 2016
22nd July 2016
15th July 2016
1st July 2016
13th June 2016
2nd June 2016
23rd May 2016
9th May 2016
21st April 2016
15th April 2016
11th April 2016
7th April 2016
4th April 2016
31st March 2016
29th February 2016
4th February 2016
15th December 2015
8th December 2015
30th November 2015
16th November 2015
10 November 2015
4 November 2015
2 November 2015
27 October 2015
20th October 2015
9th October 2015 - Emergency Meeting
5th October 2015
14th September 2015
7th September 2015
31st August 2015
17th August 2015
13th August 2015
10th August 2015
3rd August 2015
27th July 2015
20th July 2015
7th July 2015
2nd June 2015
25th May 2015
18th May 2015
4th May 2015
29 April 2015
8th April 2015
30th March 2015
25th March 2015
16th March 2015
2nd March 2015
11th February 2015
4th December 2014
27th November 2014
11th November 2014
5th November 2014
21st October 2014
18th September 2014
11th September 2014
3th September 2014 Emergency Meeting
4th September 2014
2nd September 2014
19th August 2014
12th August 2014
29th July 2014
27th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
19th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
10th June 2014
15th May 2014 Emergency Meeting
13th May 2014
29th April 2014
15th April 2014
1 April 2014
20th March 2014 Emergency Meeting
18th March 2014
3rd March 2014
18th February 2014
4th February 2014
10th December 2013
27th November 2013 Emergency Meeting
20th November 2013
18th November 2013
4th November 2013
22nd October 2013
8th October 2013
23rd September 2013
10th September 2013
3rd September 2013
13th August 2013
30th July 2013
19th July 2013
16th July 2013
9th July 2013
7th June 2013 Emergency Meeting
4th June 2013
21st May 2013
13th May 2013 Emergency Meeting
7th May 2013
23rd April 2013
9th April 2013
21st November 2012 Standing Committee
14th March 2013 Emergency Meeting
12th March 2013
5th March 2013
26th February 2013
14th February 2013
5th February 2013
18th December 2012
28th February 2012 (Standing Committee)
9th October 2012
25th September 2012
18th September 2012
6th September 2012 (Emergency Meeting)
4th September 2012
7th August 2012
24th July 2012
10th July 2012
19th June 2012
5th June 2012
1st May 2012
17th April 2012
28th March 2012
18th March 2012 EM
13th March 2012
6th March 2012
1st March 2012
28th February 2012
17th February 2012 EM
14th February 2012
7th February 2012
24th January 2012
13th December 2011
5th December 2011
29th November 2011
15th November 2011
20th September 2011
26th September 2011
13th September 2011
23rd August 2011
16th August 2011
9th August 2011
2nd August 2011
19th July 2011
21st July 2011
5th July 2011
17th May 2011
12th April 2011
19th April 2011
21st June 2011
18th July 2011
28th June 2011
13th July 2011
14th June 2011
31st May 2011
12th May 2011
6th May 2011 EM
5th May 2011
22nd March 2011
15th Feb 2011
8th March 2011
September 28th 2010
September 22nd 2010
September 14th 2010
September 7th 2010
August 24th 2010
August 17th 2010
August 10th 2010
August 3rd 2010
July 29th 2010
July 23rd 2010
July 20 2010
July 13 2010
July 7th 2010
July 5th 2010
June 29th 2010
June 8th 2010
May 28 2010
May 07 2010
April 27 2010
13th April 2010
March 23 2010
March 16 2010
March 09 2010
March 02 2010
February 16 2010
January 19th 2010
January 12th 2010
December 18 2009
November 25 2009
November 10 2009
September 15 2009
September 29 2009

March 16 2010

Meeting Highlights:
The boys from NZUSA (co-presidents David and Pene) dropped in to say hello; Community Youth was disaffiliated; a community donation application was tabled; the fire sports club is to come in for some safety investigating; Claire was congratulated on the great bucket delivery and Michael reminded all to support the Earth Hour on Saturday 27th at 8:30pm.


Harriet Geoghegan (Chair), James Meager, Claire Jackson, Stephanie Reader, Michael Anderson, Dan Stride, Art Kojarunchitt, Shonelle Eastwood, Rosalin Mackenzie, Presant Singh, Katie Bryan, John Philipson, Malia Vete, Imogen Roth and Ariana Te Wake

Julia Hollingsworth (Critic Reporter), Pene Delaney, David Do (NZUSA Co-Presidents) and Donna Jones (Minute Secretary)

Amith Koleth and Walker MacMurdo
Ariana Te Wake for lateness
Katie Bryan and Rosalin Mackenzie for leaving early

44/10 THAT the above apologies be accepted.

Last paragraph on fourth page should read 12 not 2 weeks.

45/10 THAT the minutes of the Executive Meeting held on 9 March 2010 be
accepted as a true and correct record with the above amendment.

The Executive would like to thank the following students who volunteered their services and helped out during some of the Orientation Events alongside the RU OK team. Jenna Winterton, Stuart Austin, Shoeb Ambawala, Emma Vetriano, Alex Scahill, Brad Russell, Isobella Doak and Mike England.
A card will be sent to them expressing our appreciation.

This is a request for funding for some of the Special Needs and Disadvantaged Children of Otago to attend a Circus Quirkus.

46/10 THAT Donna Jones be granted speaking rights for the duration of this

OUSA donated $200 in 2007, nil in 2008 and $400 in 2009.
It was asked if this could be tabled until next week as funding and donations are being discussed at another meeting this week.

47/10 THAT David Do and Pene Delaney be granted speaking rights for the
duration of this meeting.

David and Pene were invited to address the meeting to explain about NZUSA and their roles. They are presently travelling around the country doing campus tours gauging what issues are on each campus and if necessary this can be fed back to NZUSA at a national level.

VSM is one of the main issues. They have been focusing on the ‘Save your Services Campaign’ throughout the campuses and stressing the importance of getting submissions in before the end of March.
They have met the new Tertiary Education Minister the Hon Steven Joyce who appears to want to make quick decisions.
Mr Joyce has mentioned in the media about changing current fee policies and maybe higher fees. He has outlined the idea of introducing performance- based funding and the perhaps looking at restricted access to student loans. A real concern expressed by the Co- Presidents.

David and Pene work closely with Harriet and are always willing to be contacted about issues.
They thanked Harriet for her hospitality and were thanked very much for coming. A loud applause was heard as they left the meeting to catch their plane.

This has been discussed at length at Policy Committee and considered by the OUSA Lawyer. James went through and explained some of the proposed changes and invited questions. The memo attached also explains the changes.

48/10 THAT the Elections Policy be set.

Katie left at 6.28pm

The major changes have been outlined in the memo attached. This is a very important document for the Executive to have read and understood before coming to the meeting. The first reports are due on 25 March and this will affect them if this is passed. The change in format from a word limit and not a page limit is prescribed to maintain similar length of report.

A significant proposed change to clause 6.2 where a person may leave the room whilst their report is being voted on, not shall. This gives them the option of remaining in the room for the discussion.

49/10 THAT the Executive Reporting Policy be set

More discussion pursued. It was important to note that the executive job description is the reflection of work not the person. Thus giving an accurate report on what you have done.
It was stressed how vital it is for everyone to have a full understanding of the changes to the policy and that you know what you are voting on.
Although, it was pointed out that any policy can be reversed at any time.

The above motion 49/10 was then put:

This club no longer exists they have no debts, assets or bank accounts.

50/10 THAT the Community Support Youth Club be disaffiliated.

As attached. Heading number 14 to read disaffiliation not dissaffiliation.

51/10 THAT the OUSA Theatresports Club Constitution be amended.

This funding application from the DCC was brought to OUSA’s attention to see if we could apply for a grant. It is important that we all liaise on who is applying and for what so we don’t double up.

Applications close on 26 March 2010.

Harriet reminded the meeting that when Dunedin Mayor Peter Chin addressed our meeting he stressed the importance of working together and the many events International Students hold in the city. Should this be a consideration?
All to go away and brainstorm with ideas and suggestions then come back to another meeting.

Does the Club Development Officer apply for these grants for University Games or the like? Do any of the OUSA Clubs and Societies apply?

Ros and Presant left at 6.58pm

Earth Hour - Michael said the Otago Daily Times were keen to come and photograph the Clock tower with its lights off as a feature as part of Earth Hour.
Dan will put a note in his monthly newsletter to clubs and societies inviting them to EnviroCom meetings. Hope to make this committee more inclusive.

52/10 THAT the minutes of the Environmental Committee meeting held on 12
March 2010 be received.

Big snaps to Michael for his hard work from Harriet.

It would be beneficial to change meetings to monthly.
The word sustainable to replace environmental in the TOR.
53/10 THAT the Environmental Committee Terms of Reference be amended.

Harriet spoke about her busy but rewarding week. She once again had lots of media and meetings to attend to. She will have a written report attached to the agenda, however this week she was again very busy and didn’t have the time.

54/10 THAT the President's verbal weekly report be received.

Misuse of Drugs Act – The Law Commission is holding a talk in the Main Common Room on Thursday between 12-2pm. Valerie Sim will be compere.

Executive Reporting session – This could be useful when writing reports.
To be held on Monday at 1pm in the Boardroom.

VSM List – sign up with Harriet

Claire left at 7.17pm
Claire returned at 7.18pm

Student General Meeting date – the Secretary will be asked to call the first meeting soon. The OUSA Annual Report and Annual Accounts aren’t finalised yet which need to be received at the first meeting.
Legal advice was sought on holding a referendum on line and maybe alongside a SGM. John has offered to write up a legal document about this.

What to do with out of date SGM motions – Should there be an expiry date on motions? Do we rescind old motions? A way of keeping them up to date is preferable.

Code of Conduct – As the press release indicated OUSA has dropped the appeal with the University. Harriet has had very good feedback and the Otago Daily Times had the feature on the front page.

Standing Orders – It was reiterated how important it was about issues in
Committee staying within the committee. It was thought someone was
discussing confidential issues outside committee. This is not acceptable!

Health Science First Year Board appointment – There is a vacancy on this board.

55/10 THAT Michael Anderson be appointed as the Health Science First Year
Board Representative for 2010.

MATH160 – Michael was asked to gauge from the Executive if OUSA would support this paper being presented in Summer School. Most of the meeting thought it was too large and they didn’t have enough information to make a decision. Could this wait and go to BUGS?
Michael said there was urgency with the decision.

PolCom Meeting – next meeting, Thursday at 1pm

Capping Charity – The Events team made a suggestion that the new Charity could be collecting at the Capping Shows in May. They could also sell chocolates or drinks to make money and this would also assist the Show. Please get ideas of who you would like as the 2010 Capping Charity to the Secretary before the next meeting.

Microsoft Outlook Training – John has an hour session organised and he will supply a cuppa and biscuits. Friday 1pm in the Boardroom.

Blood Bank – They will be in the Gazebo Lounge to take your blood on Thursday from 12 – 4.30pm

Intercommunicational Workshop- This is being held in place of WelCom
meeting on Friday at 3pm.

The OUSA Great Bucket Delivery – A congratulations to Claire on this great project. The feedback has been amazing. Thanks to all those who packed, delivered and assisted with this.

Fair Trade Steering Committee – Any Executive member wanting to be
involved are welcome. See John.

56/10 THAT the meeting move into Strict Committee for reasons of person
privacy at 7.39pm.

57/10 THAT the meeting move out of Strict Committee at 8.10pm

58/10 THAT the OUSA Executive investigates the safety of the events of the Fire
Performance and Juggling Club as per clause 4.3. of the OUSA Affiliation Policy.

59/10 THAT the Fire Performance and Juggling Club Investigation Committee
Terms of Reference be ratified with amendments.

60/10 THAT the Fire Performance and Juggling Club be notified of this
investigation prior to its commencement.

61/10 THAT the Policy Committee meeting minutes of the 11 March 2010 be
received with the amendments.

Meeting closed at 8.11pm
Signed: _________________________________ Date: _____________