Executive Meeting Minutes

Meeting Archive

8th August 2017
1st August 2017
24th July 2017
10th July 2017
26th June 2017
19th June 2017
3rd June 2017
29th May 2017
22nd May 2017
15th May 2017
12th May 2017
10th May 2017
8th May 2017
1st May 2017
24th April 2017
10th April 2017
3rd April 2017
27th March 2017
20th March 2017
13th March 2017
9 February 2017
8th November 2016
17th October 2016
7th October 2016
3rd October 2016
19th September 2016
12th September 2016
5th September 2016
22nd August 2016
8th August 2016
29th July 2016
22nd July 2016
15th July 2016
1st July 2016
13th June 2016
2nd June 2016
23rd May 2016
9th May 2016
21st April 2016
15th April 2016
11th April 2016
7th April 2016
4th April 2016
31st March 2016
29th February 2016
4th February 2016
15th December 2015
8th December 2015
30th November 2015
16th November 2015
10 November 2015
4 November 2015
2 November 2015
27 October 2015
20th October 2015
9th October 2015 - Emergency Meeting
5th October 2015
14th September 2015
7th September 2015
31st August 2015
17th August 2015
13th August 2015
10th August 2015
3rd August 2015
27th July 2015
20th July 2015
7th July 2015
2nd June 2015
25th May 2015
18th May 2015
4th May 2015
29 April 2015
8th April 2015
30th March 2015
25th March 2015
16th March 2015
2nd March 2015
11th February 2015
4th December 2014
27th November 2014
11th November 2014
5th November 2014
21st October 2014
18th September 2014
11th September 2014
3th September 2014 Emergency Meeting
4th September 2014
2nd September 2014
19th August 2014
12th August 2014
29th July 2014
27th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
19th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
10th June 2014
15th May 2014 Emergency Meeting
13th May 2014
29th April 2014
15th April 2014
1 April 2014
20th March 2014 Emergency Meeting
18th March 2014
3rd March 2014
18th February 2014
4th February 2014
10th December 2013
27th November 2013 Emergency Meeting
20th November 2013
18th November 2013
4th November 2013
22nd October 2013
8th October 2013
23rd September 2013
10th September 2013
3rd September 2013
13th August 2013
30th July 2013
19th July 2013
16th July 2013
9th July 2013
7th June 2013 Emergency Meeting
4th June 2013
21st May 2013
13th May 2013 Emergency Meeting
7th May 2013
23rd April 2013
9th April 2013
21st November 2012 Standing Committee
14th March 2013 Emergency Meeting
12th March 2013
5th March 2013
26th February 2013
14th February 2013
5th February 2013
18th December 2012
28th February 2012 (Standing Committee)
9th October 2012
25th September 2012
18th September 2012
6th September 2012 (Emergency Meeting)
4th September 2012
7th August 2012
24th July 2012
10th July 2012
19th June 2012
5th June 2012
1st May 2012
17th April 2012
28th March 2012
18th March 2012 EM
13th March 2012
6th March 2012
1st March 2012
28th February 2012
17th February 2012 EM
14th February 2012
7th February 2012
24th January 2012
13th December 2011
5th December 2011
29th November 2011
15th November 2011
20th September 2011
26th September 2011
13th September 2011
23rd August 2011
16th August 2011
9th August 2011
2nd August 2011
19th July 2011
21st July 2011
5th July 2011
17th May 2011
12th April 2011
19th April 2011
21st June 2011
18th July 2011
28th June 2011
13th July 2011
14th June 2011
31st May 2011
12th May 2011
6th May 2011 EM
5th May 2011
22nd March 2011
15th Feb 2011
8th March 2011
September 28th 2010
September 22nd 2010
September 14th 2010
September 7th 2010
August 24th 2010
August 17th 2010
August 10th 2010
August 3rd 2010
July 29th 2010
July 23rd 2010
July 20 2010
July 13 2010
July 7th 2010
July 5th 2010
June 29th 2010
June 8th 2010
May 28 2010
May 07 2010
April 27 2010
13th April 2010
March 23 2010
March 16 2010
March 09 2010
March 02 2010
February 16 2010
January 19th 2010
January 12th 2010
December 18 2009
November 25 2009
November 10 2009
September 15 2009
September 29 2009

13th March 2017

MINUTES OF THE EXECUTIVE MEETING HELD ON AT PM HELD IN THE CLUBS AND SOCIETIES CENTRE, ALBANY STREET, DUNEDIN ON MONDAY 13 MARCH 2017 AT 4.05PM

PRESENT
Hugh Baird (Chair), William Guy, Cody Kirby, Bryn Jenkins, Caitlin Barlow-Groome, James Heath, Pou Templeton, Lucy Northwood, Eden Iati and Danielle Pope

IN ATTENDANCE
Debbie Downs (Chief Executive Officer), Joe Higham (Critic Deputy Editor), Donna Jones (Minute Secretary) and Tariana Jones (Observer)
APOLOGIES
Max Chan
Danielle Pope for lateness
Moved from the Chair
71/17 THAT the above apologies be accepted.
CARRIED
SPEAKING RIGHTS
Moved from the Chair
72/17 THAT Debbie Downs, Joe Higham and Donna Jones be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.
CARRIED

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING
James Heath was omitted from motion 65/17
Moved from the Chair
73/17 THAT the minutes of the executive meeting held on 6 March 2017 be accepted as a true and correct record with the above amendment.
CARRIED

HEALTH AND SAFETY
There was an incident recently that went through the University Vault system involving an OUSA van. There were no injuries but Debbie asked for all staff to be aware of the speed limit of 10kph on campus and to be very careful of pedestrians when driving around campus.
There will be a notice in the morning report tomorrow and Debbie will be bringing it up at the next Managers'meeting.
Can Health and Safety be a standard item at all executive meetings?

GRANTS PANEL MEETING RECOMMENDATIONS
Could the full minutes of the Grants meeting including explanations please be provided to the executive?
It was asked why the 11 individual grant applications below were declined.
Caitlin explained the grants criteria is preferable to give to teams and their team had been granted $1,000.
New Individual Grant Applications
Laura Thomas DECLINED
Emma Hopcroft DECLINED
Olivia Waldron DECLINED
Zahra Shahtahmasebi DECLINED
Caitlyn George DECLINED
Islay Fowler DECLINED
Zoe Whatarau DECLINED
Jekope Maiono DECLINED
Isabelle Condon DECLINED
Georgia Mason DECLINED
Margaret Nelson DECLINED

Barlow-Groome/Heath
74/17 THAT the grants recommendations below from the meeting held on 2 March
2017 be approved.
Iranian Students Association $57.75
Student Life $1000.00
Seafarers $1000.00
Cycling $750.00
Lacrosse $800.00
DCMFY $550.00
Men's Basketball $1000.00
Campus Christians $800.00
Chess Club $523.50
CARRIED

AFFILIATION
Barlow-Groome/Northwood
75/17 THAT ACT on Campus be affiliated to OUSA
CARRIED
There needs to be a greater clarity when students are signing up to an affiliated club on clubs day, whether it is in the capacity of becoming a member or simply joining an email list.

PROPOSED REFERENDUM DATES
Guy/Jenkins
76/17 THAT the Secretary be directed to call a Referendum from 9am 29 May 2017 and close at 4pm on 31 May 2017.
CARRIED
Guy/Jenkins
77/17 THAT the Referendum to be held from 9am 29 May 2017 until 4pm 31 May 2017 be held by electronic means only.
CARRIED

COMMITTEE REPORTS
University of Otago Operational Health and Safety Committee - William said this committee values student input and feedback so please don't hesitate to let William know.
The speed bump opposite the clubs and societies building across to the library is being used as a pedestrian crossing. This is causing issues. William will take it to the Health and Safety Committee.
One of the newly painted 3D pedestrian crossings on Clyde Street is causing confusion as it doesn't have white lines and pedestrians are confused as to whether it is a crossing or not.
It was also agreed the Executive should have health and safety training this year as last year's session was valuable.
Moved from the Chair
78/17 THAT the University of Otago Operational Health and Safety Committee report dated 28 February 2017 and 8 March 2017 be received.
CARRIED

POLICY COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS
Guy/Barlow-Groome
79/17 THAT Eden Iati, Danielle Pope and Bokyong Mun be appointed to the Policy Committee (PolCom) for 2017.
CARRIED

NATIONAL ELECTION GUIDELINES FOR EXEC'
Hugh wanted to bring this topic for discussion owing to it being National Election year and the Executive would like to assist with political parties coming to the University Campus to inform students. There needs to be a fair and managed process to ensure OUSA is treating each party the same with no bias.
We would like to encourage parties to come and speak to students so we will advertise the name of the political party who is coming on Facebook.
Eden will organise any forums. There is to be no OUSA advertising in or around the forums. There will be assigned Executive official channels to approach any political party.
OUSA clubs and societies to be asked to be mindful of using any OUSA logos on their posters or advertising during this phase. Support a policy - not a party.
Hugh has an NZUSA meeting soon so he will get clarity if they are going to support any particular party.
This Friday the Chief Electoral Officer is coming to the University of Otago so we can ask who is running in the elections.
The closing date for nominations is 29 August for the elections on 23 September.
Hugh will draw up some clear guidelines and bring the document to the next executive meeting.

LIFE MATTERS PROPOSED EVENT
Danielle arrived at 4.34pm
Hugh would like the Executive to run an event focusing on a Health and Wellness Day mental well-being awareness. The date talked about was 29 April however it was suggested we combine this with the Health and Well being Day on 4 May. Hugh will talk to those concerned.
Danielle advised she has a list of good things happening for students on 4 May and has a design brief for marketing and communications for 1 April deadline.
• Massage at the school of physiotherapy
• Many giveaways
• Some random acts of kindness planned
• Stall around the University
• Zuu yoga
• Indoor bowls and perhaps ping pong
• Lucy will get the postgraduate students involved


COMMITTEE REPORTS
Danielle Pope invited questions after submitting her reports.
Moved from the Chair
80/17 THAT the Otago Tertiary Chaplaincy Trust Board meeting of 9/2/17, 9/3/17 and 10/3/17, the Division of Sciences Academic Board held on 13/2/17 and Standing Committee of the Division of Sciences Academic Board held on 3/3/17 and the Ethical Behaviour Committee held on 9/3/17 reports be received.
CARRIED

GENERAL BUSINESS
Hyde Street Party - some of the executive will assist with running this event, some have volunteered to work on RU OK team. Please advise if you are attending are attending in the capacity of an Executive Officer.
Guy/Northwood
81/17 THAT the meeting move into Committee of the Whole for reasons of commercial sensitivity at 4.48pm.
CARRIED
Guy/Northwood
82/17 THAT the meeting move out of Committee of the Whole at 4.55pm.
CARRIED

Te Roopu Maori AGM – reminder you are all invited to attend this meeting tomorrow at 5.30pm in the Centre of Innovation.
Relay for Life – time for the Executive to come up with the creative ways to fundraise for this event coming up next month. James Heath offered to shave his head. We could have cooking demonstrations and bake sales were suggested.
The Vice Chancellor/Exec meet and greet – this went well last week. The excess of glass in the north Dunedin area was discussed and Cody asked if the executive could take an initiative on this.
Hugh has had brief informal discussions with liquor outlet owners - there were positive incentives discussed. He mentioned the Tertiary Precinct Working Group are working on it.

Meeting closed at 5.07pm