Executive Meeting Minutes

Meeting Archive

26th June 2017
19th June 2017
3rd June 2017
29th May 2017
22nd May 2017
15th May 2017
12th May 2017
10th May 2017
8th May 2017
1st May 2017
24th April 2017
10th April 2017
3rd April 2017
27th March 2017
20th March 2017
13th March 2017
9 February 2017
8th November 2016
17th October 2016
7th October 2016
3rd October 2016
19th September 2016
12th September 2016
5th September 2016
22nd August 2016
8th August 2016
29th July 2016
22nd July 2016
15th July 2016
1st July 2016
13th June 2016
2nd June 2016
23rd May 2016
9th May 2016
21st April 2016
15th April 2016
11th April 2016
7th April 2016
4th April 2016
31st March 2016
29th February 2016
4th February 2016
15th December 2015
8th December 2015
30th November 2015
16th November 2015
10 November 2015
4 November 2015
2 November 2015
27 October 2015
20th October 2015
9th October 2015 - Emergency Meeting
5th October 2015
14th September 2015
7th September 2015
31st August 2015
17th August 2015
13th August 2015
10th August 2015
3rd August 2015
27th July 2015
20th July 2015
7th July 2015
2nd June 2015
25th May 2015
18th May 2015
4th May 2015
29 April 2015
8th April 2015
30th March 2015
25th March 2015
16th March 2015
2nd March 2015
11th February 2015
4th December 2014
27th November 2014
11th November 2014
5th November 2014
21st October 2014
18th September 2014
11th September 2014
3th September 2014 Emergency Meeting
4th September 2014
2nd September 2014
19th August 2014
12th August 2014
29th July 2014
27th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
19th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
10th June 2014
15th May 2014 Emergency Meeting
13th May 2014
29th April 2014
15th April 2014
1 April 2014
20th March 2014 Emergency Meeting
18th March 2014
3rd March 2014
18th February 2014
4th February 2014
10th December 2013
27th November 2013 Emergency Meeting
20th November 2013
18th November 2013
4th November 2013
22nd October 2013
8th October 2013
23rd September 2013
10th September 2013
3rd September 2013
13th August 2013
30th July 2013
19th July 2013
16th July 2013
9th July 2013
7th June 2013 Emergency Meeting
4th June 2013
21st May 2013
13th May 2013 Emergency Meeting
7th May 2013
23rd April 2013
9th April 2013
21st November 2012 Standing Committee
14th March 2013 Emergency Meeting
12th March 2013
5th March 2013
26th February 2013
14th February 2013
5th February 2013
18th December 2012
28th February 2012 (Standing Committee)
9th October 2012
25th September 2012
18th September 2012
6th September 2012 (Emergency Meeting)
4th September 2012
7th August 2012
24th July 2012
10th July 2012
19th June 2012
5th June 2012
1st May 2012
17th April 2012
28th March 2012
18th March 2012 EM
13th March 2012
6th March 2012
1st March 2012
28th February 2012
17th February 2012 EM
14th February 2012
7th February 2012
24th January 2012
13th December 2011
5th December 2011
29th November 2011
15th November 2011
20th September 2011
26th September 2011
13th September 2011
23rd August 2011
16th August 2011
9th August 2011
2nd August 2011
19th July 2011
21st July 2011
5th July 2011
17th May 2011
12th April 2011
19th April 2011
21st June 2011
18th July 2011
28th June 2011
13th July 2011
14th June 2011
31st May 2011
12th May 2011
6th May 2011 EM
5th May 2011
22nd March 2011
15th Feb 2011
8th March 2011
September 28th 2010
September 22nd 2010
September 14th 2010
September 7th 2010
August 24th 2010
August 17th 2010
August 10th 2010
August 3rd 2010
July 29th 2010
July 23rd 2010
July 20 2010
July 13 2010
July 7th 2010
July 5th 2010
June 29th 2010
June 8th 2010
May 28 2010
May 07 2010
April 27 2010
13th April 2010
March 23 2010
March 16 2010
March 09 2010
March 02 2010
February 16 2010
January 19th 2010
January 12th 2010
December 18 2009
November 25 2009
November 10 2009
September 15 2009
September 29 2009

29th May 2017

MINUTES OF THE EXECUTIVE MEETING HELD ON MONDAY 29 MAY 2017 AT 4.05PM HELD IN THE CLUBS AND SOCIETIES CENTRE, ALBANY STREET, DUNEDIN

PRESENT
Hugh Baird (Chair), William Guy, Bryn Jenkins, Cody Kirby, Danielle Pope, Lucy Northwood, James Heath, Eden Iati, Max Chan, Caitlin Barlow-Groome and Eli Toeke
IN ATTENDANCE
Debbie Downs, (Chief Executive Officer), Josh Smith (Observer), Sze-En Lau (Co-ordinator of the University Volunteer Centre) and Donna Jones (Minute Secretary)
SPEAKING RIGHTS
Moved from the Chair
225/17 THAT Debbie Downs, Josh Smith, Sze-En Lau and Donna Jones be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.
CARRIED U
MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING
Spelling of FIFA should be capitals
Moved from the Chair
226/17 THAT the minutes of the Executive Meeting held on 22 May 2017 be accepted as a true and correct record with the above amendment.
CARRIED U
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Debbie reported there had been two minor accidents recently. A twisted ankle and a minor cut.
VOLUNTEERING IDEAS
Sze-En was introduced and invited to address the meeting. She asked if the executive could be involved in student Well-being projects and especially a Well-being festival. She emphasised this was to raise awareness.
Volunteering is a movement not a service.
The Volunteer Centre have received good buy in from Dr Kim Ma'ia'i Director of Student Health, Karyn Thompson – Director of Student Services and the Stephen Willis – Chief Operating Officer.
A group has started up consisting of Maori Centre Counsellors, OUSA Student Support Centre, Welfare Officer, some Executive members and Events will meet up.
The OUSA groups to get together with Sze-En and start planning and sharing ideas. Sze-En is off to Australia soon to investigate how their events work.
Sze-En is also contacting national groups to come and visit Otago. Sharing thoughts!
STUDENT TO LEARN ABOUT MEETING/OUSA PROCESSES
Josh Smith was invited to speak. He is a long time student and wished to get more involved in OUSA activities. He is the President of the Fire and Circus Juggling Club. He is keen to hold alcohol free events and encourage students to attend. He would like to hold early morning dance parties on campus or in the Clubs and Societies Activities Hall from say 6-9am.
He agreed these would be healthy activities for the well-being festival.
He will speak with other OUSA clubs and societies and encourage them to be involved.
Te Roopu Maori students have their own healthy events planned and would like to be involved.
Josh was excited to see things move forward and continue his involvement with OUSA.
INTER-COLLEGES FILM COMPETITION
As attached. James keen to have OUSA involved with this competition. He would like it to be old Mothra Film Festival OUSA used to run.
An idea was OUSA donating a trophy and someone from the executive could present it on the night. Any further ideas please email James.
It was requested that the order of the agenda be altered slightly as James has another meeting to attend and would like to address the executive with the Exec-quick-round-up idea.
EXECUTIVE QUICK ROUND UP
An idea of information sharing was to have a quick verbal round up of what each person is doing and planning at the beginning of each meeting. It was considered a good idea, it worked well in previous years.
The Secretary will ensure it is on the agenda for each meeting from now on.
HONORARIUM WORKING PARTY EXTERNAL APPOINTMENTS
Guy/Northwood
227/17 THAT Rachel Brooking, Hamish Walker and Kyle Matthews be appointed to the Honorarium Working Party for period end 31 December 2017.
CARRIED

HONORARIUM WORKING PARTY TERMS OF REFERENCE AMENDMENT
After a discussion it was agreed to amend the date that the Working Party will submit a report, and list of recommendations to the Executive. Clause 4.1 to read:
The Working Party will submit a report, and list of recommendations to the OUSA Executive on, or before the 8 August 2017.
It was noted that if this amendment doesn’t pass with unanimity or a special resolution requiring positive votes of at least two-thirds of the total number of members voting or it requires notice
Guy/Toeke
228/17 THAT the Honorarium Working Party Terms of Reference clause 4.1 be amended.
CARRIED (Special resolution)
AFFILIATIONS
Barlow-Groome/Pope
229/17 THAT the Otago Cook Islands Students Association be affiliated to OUSA.
CARRIED
The Otago Cook Island Students Association constitution has hand written clauses and will be asked to type them.
Barlow-Groome/Pope
230/17 THAT the Science Students Pacific Island Association be affiliated to OUSA.
CARRIED
COMMITTEE REPORT
Barlow-Groome/Iati
231/17 THAT the Affiliated Clubs Council meeting held on 23 May 2017 be received.
CARRIED

Barlow-Groome/Pope
232/17 THAT THE Commerce Divisional Board meeting minutes of 17 May2017 be received.
CARRIED
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICERS’ REPORTS
Moved from the Chair
233/17 THAT the meeting move into committee of the whole for reasons of commercial sensitivity at 4.47pm.
CARRIED U
Moved from the Chair
234/17 THAT the meeting move out of committee of the whole at 4.56pm.
CARRIED U
Moved from the Chair
235/17 THAT the Chief Executive Officers’ April report be received.
CARRIED U

DUNEDIN CURTAIN BANK FUNDING REQUEST
As attached the Dunedin curtain bank is currently experiencing a funding crisis as the demand for their service has increased. They support the wider Dunedin community, however they are receiving more requests from students for assistance as their flats are cold.
The Student Support Centre have a referral system set up for students to the curtain bank.
Guy/Jenkins
236/17 THAT OUSA make a donation of $500 to the Dunedin curtain Bank and assist them with marketing and promotional support.
CARRIED

GENERAL BUSINESS
Referendum – the Executive are making a big effort to encourage voting. There is a roster to lecture talks, college visits and area drops for ‘voting business cards’ around campus. The Executive have been doing a great job thus far. Well done!
NZUSA – Hugh and William attended the conference. An Executive member requested papers from the conference. Could OUSA receive minutes in future? Hugh to follow this up.
CCTV surveillance cameras wasn’t discussed at this conference. It was requested that this be put on their next agenda for discussion as it is viewed as a national issue.
James and Caitlin left at 5.06pm
Healthy Homes Guarantee Bill – Hugh is attending parliament to speak at a select committee hearing on the submission the Student Support Centre staff had been working on.
Suicide Prevention Strategy – Hugh is presently writing another submission on Suicide Prevention Strategy.
Hugh and William will bring a full report to an executive meeting later.
Te Roopu Maori dinner – Eli wished to thank the executive for attending. The executive remarked how nice the evening was.
Te Reo classes – Eli reported the attendance had dropped off a little – 50-60 people now. Next class is Wednesday 6-7pm.
Te Roopu Maori - is meant to host Te Huinga Tauira for Te Mana Akonga next year. We have been requested by Office of Maori Development to host this event in 2019 so it can coincide with the University's 150 years anniversary.

Te Roopu Maori first report – Eli asked if he can submit his report on 15 June instead of the due date 22 June as he will be away in Japan.


Meeting closed at 5.15pm