Executive Meeting Minutes

Meeting Archive

31st October 2017
24th October 2017
5th October 2016 - SGM + AGM
3rd October 2017
19th September 2017
12th September 2017
29th August 2017
22nd August 2017
23rd August 2017
8th August 2017
1st August 2017
24th July 2017
10th July 2017
26th June 2017
19th June 2017
3rd June 2017
29th May 2017
22nd May 2017
15th May 2017
12th May 2017
10th May 2017
8th May 2017
1st May 2017
24th April 2017
10th April 2017
3rd April 2017
27th March 2017
20th March 2017
13th March 2017
9 February 2017
8th November 2016
17th October 2016
7th October 2016
3rd October 2016
19th September 2016
12th September 2016
5th September 2016
22nd August 2016
8th August 2016
29th July 2016
22nd July 2016
15th July 2016
1st July 2016
13th June 2016
2nd June 2016
23rd May 2016
9th May 2016
21st April 2016
15th April 2016
11th April 2016
7th April 2016
4th April 2016
31st March 2016
29th February 2016
4th February 2016
15th December 2015
8th December 2015
30th November 2015
16th November 2015
10 November 2015
4 November 2015
2 November 2015
27 October 2015
20th October 2015
9th October 2015 - Emergency Meeting
5th October 2015
14th September 2015
7th September 2015
31st August 2015
17th August 2015
13th August 2015
10th August 2015
3rd August 2015
27th July 2015
20th July 2015
7th July 2015
2nd June 2015
25th May 2015
18th May 2015
4th May 2015
29 April 2015
8th April 2015
30th March 2015
25th March 2015
16th March 2015
2nd March 2015
11th February 2015
4th December 2014
27th November 2014
11th November 2014
5th November 2014
21st October 2014
18th September 2014
11th September 2014
3th September 2014 Emergency Meeting
4th September 2014
2nd September 2014
19th August 2014
12th August 2014
29th July 2014
27th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
19th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
10th June 2014
15th May 2014 Emergency Meeting
13th May 2014
29th April 2014
15th April 2014
1 April 2014
20th March 2014 Emergency Meeting
18th March 2014
3rd March 2014
18th February 2014
4th February 2014
10th December 2013
27th November 2013 Emergency Meeting
20th November 2013
18th November 2013
4th November 2013
22nd October 2013
8th October 2013
23rd September 2013
10th September 2013
3rd September 2013
13th August 2013
30th July 2013
19th July 2013
16th July 2013
9th July 2013
7th June 2013 Emergency Meeting
4th June 2013
21st May 2013
13th May 2013 Emergency Meeting
7th May 2013
23rd April 2013
9th April 2013
21st November 2012 Standing Committee
14th March 2013 Emergency Meeting
12th March 2013
5th March 2013
26th February 2013
14th February 2013
5th February 2013
18th December 2012
28th February 2012 (Standing Committee)
9th October 2012
25th September 2012
18th September 2012
6th September 2012 (Emergency Meeting)
4th September 2012
7th August 2012
24th July 2012
10th July 2012
19th June 2012
5th June 2012
1st May 2012
17th April 2012
28th March 2012
18th March 2012 EM
13th March 2012
6th March 2012
1st March 2012
28th February 2012
17th February 2012 EM
14th February 2012
7th February 2012
24th January 2012
13th December 2011
5th December 2011
29th November 2011
15th November 2011
20th September 2011
26th September 2011
13th September 2011
23rd August 2011
16th August 2011
9th August 2011
2nd August 2011
19th July 2011
21st July 2011
5th July 2011
17th May 2011
12th April 2011
19th April 2011
21st June 2011
18th July 2011
28th June 2011
13th July 2011
14th June 2011
31st May 2011
12th May 2011
6th May 2011 EM
5th May 2011
22nd March 2011
15th Feb 2011
8th March 2011
September 28th 2010
September 22nd 2010
September 14th 2010
September 7th 2010
August 24th 2010
August 17th 2010
August 10th 2010
August 3rd 2010
July 29th 2010
July 23rd 2010
July 20 2010
July 13 2010
July 7th 2010
July 5th 2010
June 29th 2010
June 8th 2010
May 28 2010
May 07 2010
April 27 2010
13th April 2010
March 23 2010
March 16 2010
March 09 2010
March 02 2010
February 16 2010
January 19th 2010
January 12th 2010
December 18 2009
November 25 2009
November 10 2009
September 15 2009
September 29 2009

July 20 2010

Meeting Highlights:
Some executive quarterly reports dealt with, 20,985 OUSA members reported, with breakdowns by campus, affiliations of some new clubs, Youthline donation, Maor Language week, and a bit of Strict Committee action.


Harriet Geoghegan (Chair), James Meager, Claire Jackson, Stephanie Reader, Travis Monk, Michael Anderson, Shonelle Eastwood, Katie Bryan, David McKelvey, Imogen Roth, Ariana Te Wake, Daniel Stride, Art Kojarunchitt and John Philipson

Julia Hollingsworth (Critic Reporter) and Donna Jones (Minute Secretary)

Malia Vete, Ros Mackenzie and Walker MacMurdo
John Philipson for lateness
Dan Stride for leaving early

Moved from the Chair
224/10 THAT the above apologies be accepted.


Moved from the Chair
225/10 THAT the minutes of the previous executive meeting held on 1 June 2010 be accepted as a true and correct record.

Capping Charity letter of apology has been written, can all Executive members please sign it if possible.

For noting.

The Secretary attached the breakdown of figures of OUSA members to determine the 1% quorum for Student General Meetings.
OUSA information as requested as at 12 July 2010.
NZD Fee Paying
No Amount
OUSA General Levy 16,497 1,381,445.54
OUSA Building Levy 17,915 1,607,602.27
OUSA Distance Levy 1,893 42,516.78
OUSA Thesis Levy 1,419 63,621.69
OUSA Christchurch Campus 476 15,127.28
OUSA Southland Campus 186 5,911.08
OUSA Wellington Campus 514 16,334.92
(Please note that there are no US fee payers from 2010)
The total is 20,985 OUSA members

James explained a couple of minor changes made to the constitutions and some constitutional amendments.

John arrived at 6.05pm

226/10 THAT the Renaissance Rapier be affiliated to OUSA.

227/10 THAT DASIG (Dunedin Abrahamic Student Interfaith Group) be affiliated
to OUSA.

228/10 THAT the new Constitution for the Anthropology Society be ratified with

229/10 THAT the minutes of the Education committee meeting held on 15 June
2010 be received.


230/10 THAT Donna Jones be granted speaking rights for the duration of this

The Secretary was asked about precedent if honorarium payments were decreased due to executive officers’ handing in their executive reports late.
As per report policy clause 3.4.1 it is a requirement that if a report is late it needs a motion to receive the late report.

231/10 THAT John Philipson’s second quarter report be received and it be
noted that it was late.

232/10 THAT John Philipson’s second quarter report be accepted and he be
paid his honorarium.

Foreshadowed motion:
233/10 THAT John Philipson’s second quarter report be accepted and he be
paid half his honorarium.

Motion 232/10 was then put:
Stride/Kojarunchitt: Against

Travis left at 6.27pm

James Meager organised a BBQ on the morning of ManDay asking for a gold coin donation to be given to our Capping Charity – Youthline.

234/10 THAT the ManDay BBQ takings of $143.80 be donated to Youthline as
part of the 2010 OUSA Capping Charity.

As per the attached memorandum, Claire Jackson would like to build a Documentary Library of DVD to hire out to students. She is requesting $1300 to set this up, 20 DVD’s at $40 each and an advertisement in Critic to inform students. Some expressed this was a bit expensive.
This had been discussed with the General Manager.
It was suggested that the University should and could do this. Imogen is going to ask the Library Services Liaison Committee about this.
Could this be funded from the Campaign and Initiatives Line? James will do a breakdown of this line and report back.


Student Health Charges – In October when the increase in GST is enforced student health are considering increasing their charges to cover for this. How would the Executive consider an increase? It was agreed overwhelmingly not to increase the charges. It should be absorbed in the recreational and welfare levies. James noted that where possible, OUSA should not support any increases in levies or costs to students.

Code of Conduct Reference Group
The President sits on this committee and she would like to know who else at OUSA would be interested. It was suggested that Matt Tucker be approached. Shonelle would be interested as an executive representative. The next meeting is 3 August so Harriet will inquire and report back.

Referendum results thus far
At 5.30pm this evening there were 389 votes. Harriet suggested we all get behind this and encourage voting. John Philipson is going to poll at Arana, Aquinas and Salmond Colleges in the next few days.

Student Job Search
Harriet will be in Wellington tomorrow attending a national meeting.
She will be contactable via cell phone and will return tomorrow evening.

Local Body Elections
A proposal will be coming to the Executive for funding to advertise in Critic to advertise these elections especially regarding student issues. OUSA Executive should lobby candidates and get in behind these elections. What do we want for the next three years for students?
PromCom is willing to assist with funding also.

Your City our Future Forum.
Harriet attended a meeting with the Mayor, members from the DCC, North Dunedin Liaison group and approximately another 100 people from around Dunedin to discuss what could be done for the future of our City. This was to 10 year plan for Dunedin.

Proposal for Budget
Imogen and John are working together to working to sort out the break down and expenditure for the Campaigns and Initiatives line next year.
Please get any submissions to them by Thursday 29 July.

Dan left at 6.56pm

Maori Language Week
Ariana said next week is national Maori language week. As part of this she is taking a basic Te Reo (language) course tomorrow at 5pm in the Boardroom for Radio One to learn basic Maori pronunciation to use on air. Anyone else is welcome to attend. Ariana will be emailing phrases each morning next week, if you want to know more let her know. There is also an online plug-in for Maori pronunciation on your computer.

International Cultural Night
Art wished to thank everyone who helped to make the Food Festival such a success this week and would like to invite people to the International Cultural Evening at the Town Hall on Saturday evening at 7pm.

Flat signs – taken and ratings
Could people help getting these around to flats? Imogen and Claire have allocated two executive members to a street to take these to flats and especially get them to fill the ratings out.

Budget submissions
A reminder to you to get these in – James will email you.

Moved from the Chair
235/10 THAT the meeting move into Strict Committee for reasons of personal
privacy at 7.02pm.

Moved from the Chair
236/10 THAT the meeting move out of Strict Committee at 7.11pm.

Meeting closed at 7.11pm
Signed: _________________________________ Date: _____________