Executive Meeting Minutes

Meeting Archive

5th October 2016 - SGM + AGM
3rd October 2017
19th September 2017
12th September 2017
29th August 2017
22nd August 2017
23rd August 2017
8th August 2017
1st August 2017
24th July 2017
10th July 2017
26th June 2017
19th June 2017
3rd June 2017
29th May 2017
22nd May 2017
15th May 2017
12th May 2017
10th May 2017
8th May 2017
1st May 2017
24th April 2017
10th April 2017
3rd April 2017
27th March 2017
20th March 2017
13th March 2017
9 February 2017
8th November 2016
17th October 2016
7th October 2016
3rd October 2016
19th September 2016
12th September 2016
5th September 2016
22nd August 2016
8th August 2016
29th July 2016
22nd July 2016
15th July 2016
1st July 2016
13th June 2016
2nd June 2016
23rd May 2016
9th May 2016
21st April 2016
15th April 2016
11th April 2016
7th April 2016
4th April 2016
31st March 2016
29th February 2016
4th February 2016
15th December 2015
8th December 2015
30th November 2015
16th November 2015
10 November 2015
4 November 2015
2 November 2015
27 October 2015
20th October 2015
9th October 2015 - Emergency Meeting
5th October 2015
14th September 2015
7th September 2015
31st August 2015
17th August 2015
13th August 2015
10th August 2015
3rd August 2015
27th July 2015
20th July 2015
7th July 2015
2nd June 2015
25th May 2015
18th May 2015
4th May 2015
29 April 2015
8th April 2015
30th March 2015
25th March 2015
16th March 2015
2nd March 2015
11th February 2015
4th December 2014
27th November 2014
11th November 2014
5th November 2014
21st October 2014
18th September 2014
11th September 2014
3th September 2014 Emergency Meeting
4th September 2014
2nd September 2014
19th August 2014
12th August 2014
29th July 2014
27th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
19th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
10th June 2014
15th May 2014 Emergency Meeting
13th May 2014
29th April 2014
15th April 2014
1 April 2014
20th March 2014 Emergency Meeting
18th March 2014
3rd March 2014
18th February 2014
4th February 2014
10th December 2013
27th November 2013 Emergency Meeting
20th November 2013
18th November 2013
4th November 2013
22nd October 2013
8th October 2013
23rd September 2013
10th September 2013
3rd September 2013
13th August 2013
30th July 2013
19th July 2013
16th July 2013
9th July 2013
7th June 2013 Emergency Meeting
4th June 2013
21st May 2013
13th May 2013 Emergency Meeting
7th May 2013
23rd April 2013
9th April 2013
21st November 2012 Standing Committee
14th March 2013 Emergency Meeting
12th March 2013
5th March 2013
26th February 2013
14th February 2013
5th February 2013
18th December 2012
28th February 2012 (Standing Committee)
9th October 2012
25th September 2012
18th September 2012
6th September 2012 (Emergency Meeting)
4th September 2012
7th August 2012
24th July 2012
10th July 2012
19th June 2012
5th June 2012
1st May 2012
17th April 2012
28th March 2012
18th March 2012 EM
13th March 2012
6th March 2012
1st March 2012
28th February 2012
17th February 2012 EM
14th February 2012
7th February 2012
24th January 2012
13th December 2011
5th December 2011
29th November 2011
15th November 2011
20th September 2011
26th September 2011
13th September 2011
23rd August 2011
16th August 2011
9th August 2011
2nd August 2011
19th July 2011
21st July 2011
5th July 2011
17th May 2011
12th April 2011
19th April 2011
21st June 2011
18th July 2011
28th June 2011
13th July 2011
14th June 2011
31st May 2011
12th May 2011
6th May 2011 EM
5th May 2011
22nd March 2011
15th Feb 2011
8th March 2011
September 28th 2010
September 22nd 2010
September 14th 2010
September 7th 2010
August 24th 2010
August 17th 2010
August 10th 2010
August 3rd 2010
July 29th 2010
July 23rd 2010
July 20 2010
July 13 2010
July 7th 2010
July 5th 2010
June 29th 2010
June 8th 2010
May 28 2010
May 07 2010
April 27 2010
13th April 2010
March 23 2010
March 16 2010
March 09 2010
March 02 2010
February 16 2010
January 19th 2010
January 12th 2010
December 18 2009
November 25 2009
November 10 2009
September 15 2009
September 29 2009

17th May 2011


Bradley Russell (Chair), Katie Reid, Shonelle Eastwood, Dan Stride, Sarah Van Ballekom, Dan Beck, Thomas Koentges, Francisco Hernandez and Ariana Te Wake

Aimee Gulliver (Critic Reporter), Jonathon Rowe, (Student Rep on University Council), James Meager (Observer) and Donna Jones (Minute Secretary)

Art Kojarunchitt
Ariana Te Wake for lateness

208/11 THAT the above apologies be accepted.

Duplication of motion numbers 190/11 – 198/11, should be 199/11 – 207/11

209/11 THAT the Minutes of the Executive Meeting held on 17 May 2011 be accepted as a true and correct record with the above amendments.

210/11 THAT Jonathan Rowe be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.

Jonathan addressed the meeting saying he wanted to meet the Executive and come along to regular Executive Meeting to report back from University Council Meetings if that was required. However, at the moment there isn’t anything substantial to report on.

He said he would perhaps trial coming to a meeting of the Executive on the first Tuesday of each month. It may depend on what is being discussed at Council.
He did reiterate that the Executive can come along to the University Council Meetings when they aren’t in committee.

Harriet had given positive feedback that Jonathan Rowe was doing a good job as a representative on University Council.

It was then discussed who would replace Harriet Geoghegan on University Council. The executive had been chatting amongst themselves and through emails over the past couple of days and Katie Reid won overwhelming support.

Katie addressed the meeting to express her desire to sit on Council. She is already on 15 different committees gaining lots of experience. She relates well to people and is willing to do this. Previous Education Officers’ have been appointed to Council.

Eastwood/Van Ballekom
211/11 THAT Katie Reid be appointed as a Representative on University Council for 2011.
1 Abstain

Jonathan Rowe was thanked for his attendance and his hard work thus far on the University Council.

There were 9 submissions received.

Ariana arrived at 5.35pm

Postgraduate budget - increase from $4,000 - $10,000.
The Postgraduate Rep’ had supplied a breakdown in his submission of ways they would spend this extra funding. He said the present OUSA Events are not appealing to Postgraduate’s. He wanted to run more activities for them and that Postgraduate’s were under represented by OUSA.

It was noted that the Events Department had also asked for $1,000 to run an event for the children of the Postgraduate’s. It was agreed that if the Postgraduate’s budget was increased then this could be combined.

When the Postgraduate Committee Representatives are elected it will be much better, this should hopefully happen soon.

212/11 THAT James Meager be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.

James said he wasn’t expecting to address the meeting and talk about the budgets, he was in attendance to explain the document he submitted for the Presidential By Election to be discussed later in this meeting. Nonetheless, he was invited to speak as a former Finance and Services Officer of OUSA.

He reminded the Executive that because we are in a VSM environment OUSA may need to make drastic cuts to the budget next year. Would it be better to cut back now and allow for less drastic measures later? With the lack of levies OUSA will have to make serious cuts later.

It was viewed as inappropriate to increase budgets now and cut later.

Jonathan Rowe suggested that OUSA supply a summary of what OUSA’s budget will be, post VSM Bill being passed. Brad and Kate will meet with Jonathan at another meeting and discuss this at length.

Thomas said that if OUSA wants the Postgraduate’s to join OUSA next year under Voluntary Student Membership you should support them financially now. He did say should OUSA be operating in a VSM environment he would discuss cut backs if necessary.

It was noted that at a Postgraduate committee meeting held recently, most of them didn’t want more events, aside from a few emails supporting more events.

Francisco left at 6.05pm
Francisco returned at 6.07pm

Where are you going to get the most money from to survive next year?
This could affect staff under the VSM environment.

213/11 THAT the Postgraduate Budget be increased from $4,000 to $10,000.
3 Against
1 Abstain
4 For
Foreshadow motion:

214/11 THAT the Postgraduate Budget be increased from $4,000 to $6,000

OUSA shares the costs with the University for the ‘Get A Taste’ Booklet. The semester two price for printing was more competitive.

215/11THAT the Printing (Recreation/Clubs and Societies) line (3812) increased from $8,700 to $12,340

216/11THAT the Electricity (Recreation/Clubs and Societies) line (4802) increased from $20,000 to $25,000

There was a discussion about the repairs to the Squash Courts, if we should use a cheaper repair method or spend more money. It was agreed the cheaper option be used to save money. Thus meaning the budget line will remain the same.

It was stated that some of the Executive were under the impression the University was taking over the running of the Blues and Golds evening, however this doesn’t appear so.

What part of the OUSA budget does this line feature? Had it already been budgeted for?

There was clarification requested as to what department had this money in their budget line.

Katie left at 6.46pm

Dan Stride would consult with Events and Clubs and Societies.

Katie returned at 6.49pm
Dan Stride left at 6.50pm to further investigate the OUSA budget lines. In the meantime the meeting moved onto another budget variation line.

Francisco has arranged for an Inter-Collegial Chess Tournament to be held and this spent his entire budget. He was requesting an increase to run other events throughout the year.

There was opposition to the request for an increase especially when the entire budget was being spent on one event already.

It was said it was fiscally irresponsible to spend your entire budget on one event.

217/11 THAT the Colleges Committee (Executive) line increased from $1,000 to $1,250
3 Against
4 For

There was a submission to increase the Community Grants and Donations Line. If OUSA is donating to the wider community it is a good thing. However, others said again in this VSM climate we shouldn’t be increasing this line.

Dan Stride left at 7.17pm

Others thought it was good kudos for OUSA to be support the wider community as well as students.

Dan Stride returned at 7.20pm

218/11 THAT the Community Grants and Donations line be increased from $2,500 TO $3,000
1 Abstain
2 For
5 Against

Brad left at 7.21pm
Brad returned at 7.22pm

Discussion continued about the Clubs Development Line Dan Stride suggests it has been deleted from the budget lines presumably when the University took it over. He will check up tomorrow and report back. It was agreed to increase the line in the mean time as it will be accounted for, somewhere.

219/11 THAT the Clubs Development line (Recreation/Clubs and Societies) line increased from $53,945 to $60,383.50 to account for the costs of the Blues and Golds Awards.

220/11 THAT the Electricity (Recreation/Clubs and Societies) line (4802) increased from $20,000 to $25,000

The increases in the budgets above represent a $23,838.50 increase in operational Expenditure. OUSA is still running a healthy operational surplus of around $55,000+.

The documents had been emailed to the entire executive earlier. The due date to consider this is 30 June so it was decided to table this until the next meeting and the Secretary can re-attach it to the agenda.

James thanked the meeting for allowing this to be discussed. He delivered a document in an attempt to balance the pros and cons of holding an OUSA by Election in the first semester.

He suggests it would give an incoming President two extra months if elected earlier for training and a transition into the position. In an anticipated VSM environment this would be beneficial and less over load on the present executive members covering the position.

Brad left at 7.42pm
Brad returned at 7.43pm

Bradley Russell was granted leave of the meeting to convey his opinion on holding the elections in the second semester.

No promotional planning and the promotions team would be overloaded doing it last minute. The Executive are often criticised for not advertising events sufficiently and allowing enough time.

Students who considered running for the position would have to make hasty decisions about their study in the next week or so which would have personal repercussions.

Also, a quick poll was set up on the OUSA face book to gauge what semester students preferred the by election to be held - 32 for semester one and 26 for semester two.

A discussion took place and after taking a straw poll and it was decided to put it to the vote.

221/11 THAT nominations for a By Election for the position of President open at 9am on 18 May 2011 and close at 4pm on 24 May 2011.
1 Abstain

222/11 THAT voting for a By Election for the position of President open at 9am on 1 June 2011 and close at 4pm on 3 June 2011.
1 Abstain

223/11 THAT voting for the By Election on 1 – 3 June 2011 be by Electronic Means Only.
1 Abstain

Koentges/Van Bellekom
224/11 THAT nominations for one of the representatives on the Postgraduate Committee (10 positions) open at 9am on 18 May 2011 and close at 4pm on 24 May 2011.

Koentges/Van Bellekom
225/11 THAT voting for one of the representatives on the Postgraduate Committee (10 positions) open at 9am on 1 June 2011 and close at 4pm on 3 June 2011.

Koentges/Van Bellekom
226/11 THAT voting for representatives on the Postgraduate Committees on 1 June – 3 June 2011 be by electronic means only.

The Secretary will get advertising out tonight so as we can start first thing tomorrow with opening nominations.

227/11 THAT the Postgraduate Committee Election to come from the elections budget.

This strategy plan can be dealt with in a sub committee. AJ and Zina could be asked to assist.

The Secretary has posted a roster beside the pigeon holes please sign up on a booth during polling 23 May – 3 June.

Meeting closed at 8.13pm