Executive Meeting Minutes

Meeting Archive

5th October 2016 - SGM + AGM
3rd October 2017
19th September 2017
12th September 2017
29th August 2017
22nd August 2017
23rd August 2017
8th August 2017
1st August 2017
24th July 2017
10th July 2017
26th June 2017
19th June 2017
3rd June 2017
29th May 2017
22nd May 2017
15th May 2017
12th May 2017
10th May 2017
8th May 2017
1st May 2017
24th April 2017
10th April 2017
3rd April 2017
27th March 2017
20th March 2017
13th March 2017
9 February 2017
8th November 2016
17th October 2016
7th October 2016
3rd October 2016
19th September 2016
12th September 2016
5th September 2016
22nd August 2016
8th August 2016
29th July 2016
22nd July 2016
15th July 2016
1st July 2016
13th June 2016
2nd June 2016
23rd May 2016
9th May 2016
21st April 2016
15th April 2016
11th April 2016
7th April 2016
4th April 2016
31st March 2016
29th February 2016
4th February 2016
15th December 2015
8th December 2015
30th November 2015
16th November 2015
10 November 2015
4 November 2015
2 November 2015
27 October 2015
20th October 2015
9th October 2015 - Emergency Meeting
5th October 2015
14th September 2015
7th September 2015
31st August 2015
17th August 2015
13th August 2015
10th August 2015
3rd August 2015
27th July 2015
20th July 2015
7th July 2015
2nd June 2015
25th May 2015
18th May 2015
4th May 2015
29 April 2015
8th April 2015
30th March 2015
25th March 2015
16th March 2015
2nd March 2015
11th February 2015
4th December 2014
27th November 2014
11th November 2014
5th November 2014
21st October 2014
18th September 2014
11th September 2014
3th September 2014 Emergency Meeting
4th September 2014
2nd September 2014
19th August 2014
12th August 2014
29th July 2014
27th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
19th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
10th June 2014
15th May 2014 Emergency Meeting
13th May 2014
29th April 2014
15th April 2014
1 April 2014
20th March 2014 Emergency Meeting
18th March 2014
3rd March 2014
18th February 2014
4th February 2014
10th December 2013
27th November 2013 Emergency Meeting
20th November 2013
18th November 2013
4th November 2013
22nd October 2013
8th October 2013
23rd September 2013
10th September 2013
3rd September 2013
13th August 2013
30th July 2013
19th July 2013
16th July 2013
9th July 2013
7th June 2013 Emergency Meeting
4th June 2013
21st May 2013
13th May 2013 Emergency Meeting
7th May 2013
23rd April 2013
9th April 2013
21st November 2012 Standing Committee
14th March 2013 Emergency Meeting
12th March 2013
5th March 2013
26th February 2013
14th February 2013
5th February 2013
18th December 2012
28th February 2012 (Standing Committee)
9th October 2012
25th September 2012
18th September 2012
6th September 2012 (Emergency Meeting)
4th September 2012
7th August 2012
24th July 2012
10th July 2012
19th June 2012
5th June 2012
1st May 2012
17th April 2012
28th March 2012
18th March 2012 EM
13th March 2012
6th March 2012
1st March 2012
28th February 2012
17th February 2012 EM
14th February 2012
7th February 2012
24th January 2012
13th December 2011
5th December 2011
29th November 2011
15th November 2011
20th September 2011
26th September 2011
13th September 2011
23rd August 2011
16th August 2011
9th August 2011
2nd August 2011
19th July 2011
21st July 2011
5th July 2011
17th May 2011
12th April 2011
19th April 2011
21st June 2011
18th July 2011
28th June 2011
13th July 2011
14th June 2011
31st May 2011
12th May 2011
6th May 2011 EM
5th May 2011
22nd March 2011
15th Feb 2011
8th March 2011
September 28th 2010
September 22nd 2010
September 14th 2010
September 7th 2010
August 24th 2010
August 17th 2010
August 10th 2010
August 3rd 2010
July 29th 2010
July 23rd 2010
July 20 2010
July 13 2010
July 7th 2010
July 5th 2010
June 29th 2010
June 8th 2010
May 28 2010
May 07 2010
April 27 2010
13th April 2010
March 23 2010
March 16 2010
March 09 2010
March 02 2010
February 16 2010
January 19th 2010
January 12th 2010
December 18 2009
November 25 2009
November 10 2009
September 15 2009
September 29 2009

6th March 2012


Logan Edgar (Chair), Ryan Edgar, Francisco Hernandez, Aaspreet Boparai, Blake Luff, Victoria Koszowski and Lisa Pohatu

Donna Jones (Minute Secretary) and Joe Stockman (Critic Reporter)

Darel Hall apologized for not being able to attend owing to an off-site meeting with Dunedin business people.

04/12 THAT the minutes of the previous executive meeting held on 29 February 2012 be accepted as a true and correct record.

05/12 THAT the minutes of the previous emergency executive meeting held on 1 March 2012 be accepted as a true and correct record.

It was noted that this emergency meeting was called as OUSA is eager to hold a By Election for the four vacant positions as soon as possible. As indicated in previous meetings OUSA were holding off until a meeting was held with the University Registrar about holding the university council student representative elections alongside the OUSA By Elections.

However, both parties were keen to keep the elections separate in the meantime, also the university requires four weeks' notice to be given for their elections leaving it too long for OUSA to wait.

06/12 THAT motions 01/12, 02/12 and 03/12 from the OUSA Emergency Executive Meeting held on 1 March 2012 be ratified.

As previously indicated there is no budget for donations this year, although the Executive would consider applications on their merit.

It was agreed there would not be any financial contribution to this, however, Ryan and Blake have offered to help out on the day as part of their community service. They will contact the Rotary Club and offer. The Secretary will inform them the application for funding was declined.

There was also a suggestion to do a quick 'whip around' the members of the executive for any donations but this was dropped when the offer to volunteer on the day was suggested.

07/12 THAT the Executive First Quarter Reports be due to the Secretary by 1pm on Thursday, 22 March 2012.

08/12 THAT the Executive Second Quarter Reports be due to the Secretary by 1pm on Thursday, 28 June 2012.

09/12 THAT the Executive Third Quarter Reports be due to the Secretary by 1pm on Thursday, 20 September 2012.

10/12 THAT the Executive Fourth Quarter Reports be due to the Secretary by 1pm on Thursday, 15 November 2012.

As attached.

11/12 THAT the Otago University Postgraduate Society (OUPS) be affiliated to OUSA.

Blake gave a verbal report after attending this meeting. They meet monthly and this month they discussed how best to improve them communicating with students. Blake is going to talk with our Communications Coordinator who will be invited to attend the next meeting and suggest ways they can use our Facebook communications and also tell them about scarfie.com etc as ways of getting information to students.

Student Health are pleased about the proposed glass ban at the Hyde Street Keg Party as they have had many students in the past with cut feet going into their consulting rooms.

The transit van we have now needs replaced. There have been allowances for it in the Capital Expenditure budget.
As the attached document indicated Blake had obtained three different quotes for a replacement van. There has also been consideration of purchasing a trailer to tow behind as well. What does the Executive think? He has consulted other users of the van for their input also.

A valuation of the transit van to be obtained and also how much if we traded it in.

Logan and Blake will do some more researching and report back.

There have been further meetings with interested parties about this event.

Logan and Koren from Events have spoken to the residents in the street to ask their permission to close the street and to inform them of the plan to avoid injury and encourage sensible drinking to minimize the risk of any harm on the day.

Red Frog will be present with water and ice blocks. Fran indicated that the Food not Bombs group would like to come along and give out free soup.

The DCC and the Mayor have going to offer 'sausage support' for the day.

The OUSA Events team has taken over the running of the main areas of this day now.

The Mayor and the Vice Chancellor have offered to judge a competition for the best costume of the day.

Logan to draw up a roster for the Executive to come along on the day, it was suggest also the Liquor Ban petition could presented there with the Executive.

Logan said this was a constructive and productive meeting. He will present a written report to the next meeting. He said the Vice Chancellor was very interested in this when he mentioned to her today.

Logan thought that Joe Stockman may have news to contribute.

12/12 THAT Joe Stockman be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.

Knox College debacle - Critic hadn't heard any further developments about this. It seems to have died down for now.

Liquor Ban - petition nearly has 3000 signatures now. Fran has been distributing it wide and far. Each College has been sent a copy. As Fran's attached document, Operation Enduring Freedom suggests he is aiming to obtain 10,000 signatures calling for a more constructive alternative to the proposed extension of the DCC liquor ban across a wide North Dunedin area. He is suggesting the executive obtain 2200 each in the next couple of weeks and Fran hopes to collect 500 each week and each Officer will hopefully collect 200.

The Debating Society may consider holding a joint public debate on the Liquor ban. Te Roopu Executive will be happy to have a copy of the petition over at their offices too. Lisa will pick one up.

Another innovative idea to advertise their disapproval of the wider liquor ban is the males on the executive wish to hold a BBQ naked, thus to illustrate their freedom being jeopardised.

University of Otago Research - the Otago Daily Times has covered an article on how many animals die whilst being used for research. The % wasn't high in comparison to how many animals are used overall. The animals are well cared for.

Otago Rugby Football Union - their fate will be heard on Friday at 4pm. There have been rumours that there could be a stay of execution.

Stadium Zoo - feedback was good. And zero arrests last weekend at the Rugby.

Logan encouraging the executive to write a submission to the DCC about the liquor ban. He will send his copy to the Executive once he has finished. Te Roopu Maori will write one also.

By Election - don't forget to encourage people to stand and also to make time to help out on the booth.

13 March 2012 at 5.15pm

Meeting closed at 6.52pm