Executive Meeting Minutes

Meeting Archive

5th October 2016 - SGM + AGM
3rd October 2017
19th September 2017
12th September 2017
29th August 2017
22nd August 2017
23rd August 2017
8th August 2017
1st August 2017
24th July 2017
10th July 2017
26th June 2017
19th June 2017
3rd June 2017
29th May 2017
22nd May 2017
15th May 2017
12th May 2017
10th May 2017
8th May 2017
1st May 2017
24th April 2017
10th April 2017
3rd April 2017
27th March 2017
20th March 2017
13th March 2017
9 February 2017
8th November 2016
17th October 2016
7th October 2016
3rd October 2016
19th September 2016
12th September 2016
5th September 2016
22nd August 2016
8th August 2016
29th July 2016
22nd July 2016
15th July 2016
1st July 2016
13th June 2016
2nd June 2016
23rd May 2016
9th May 2016
21st April 2016
15th April 2016
11th April 2016
7th April 2016
4th April 2016
31st March 2016
29th February 2016
4th February 2016
15th December 2015
8th December 2015
30th November 2015
16th November 2015
10 November 2015
4 November 2015
2 November 2015
27 October 2015
20th October 2015
9th October 2015 - Emergency Meeting
5th October 2015
14th September 2015
7th September 2015
31st August 2015
17th August 2015
13th August 2015
10th August 2015
3rd August 2015
27th July 2015
20th July 2015
7th July 2015
2nd June 2015
25th May 2015
18th May 2015
4th May 2015
29 April 2015
8th April 2015
30th March 2015
25th March 2015
16th March 2015
2nd March 2015
11th February 2015
4th December 2014
27th November 2014
11th November 2014
5th November 2014
21st October 2014
18th September 2014
11th September 2014
3th September 2014 Emergency Meeting
4th September 2014
2nd September 2014
19th August 2014
12th August 2014
29th July 2014
27th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
19th July 2014 Emergency Meeting
10th June 2014
15th May 2014 Emergency Meeting
13th May 2014
29th April 2014
15th April 2014
1 April 2014
20th March 2014 Emergency Meeting
18th March 2014
3rd March 2014
18th February 2014
4th February 2014
10th December 2013
27th November 2013 Emergency Meeting
20th November 2013
18th November 2013
4th November 2013
22nd October 2013
8th October 2013
23rd September 2013
10th September 2013
3rd September 2013
13th August 2013
30th July 2013
19th July 2013
16th July 2013
9th July 2013
7th June 2013 Emergency Meeting
4th June 2013
21st May 2013
13th May 2013 Emergency Meeting
7th May 2013
23rd April 2013
9th April 2013
21st November 2012 Standing Committee
14th March 2013 Emergency Meeting
12th March 2013
5th March 2013
26th February 2013
14th February 2013
5th February 2013
18th December 2012
28th February 2012 (Standing Committee)
9th October 2012
25th September 2012
18th September 2012
6th September 2012 (Emergency Meeting)
4th September 2012
7th August 2012
24th July 2012
10th July 2012
19th June 2012
5th June 2012
1st May 2012
17th April 2012
28th March 2012
18th March 2012 EM
13th March 2012
6th March 2012
1st March 2012
28th February 2012
17th February 2012 EM
14th February 2012
7th February 2012
24th January 2012
13th December 2011
5th December 2011
29th November 2011
15th November 2011
20th September 2011
26th September 2011
13th September 2011
23rd August 2011
16th August 2011
9th August 2011
2nd August 2011
19th July 2011
21st July 2011
5th July 2011
17th May 2011
12th April 2011
19th April 2011
21st June 2011
18th July 2011
28th June 2011
13th July 2011
14th June 2011
31st May 2011
12th May 2011
6th May 2011 EM
5th May 2011
22nd March 2011
15th Feb 2011
8th March 2011
September 28th 2010
September 22nd 2010
September 14th 2010
September 7th 2010
August 24th 2010
August 17th 2010
August 10th 2010
August 3rd 2010
July 29th 2010
July 23rd 2010
July 20 2010
July 13 2010
July 7th 2010
July 5th 2010
June 29th 2010
June 8th 2010
May 28 2010
May 07 2010
April 27 2010
13th April 2010
March 23 2010
March 16 2010
March 09 2010
March 02 2010
February 16 2010
January 19th 2010
January 12th 2010
December 18 2009
November 25 2009
November 10 2009
September 15 2009
September 29 2009

17th April 2012


Logan Edgar (Chair), Jono Rowe (Chair), Angus McDonald, Blake Luff, Lisa Pohatu, Aaspreet Boparai and Juana Diesing

Darel Hall (General Manager), Donna Jones (Minute Secretary), Callum Frederic (Critic Reporter) and Debbie Coulter (Clubs and Societies Centre Manager)

Ryan Edgar and Francisco Hernandez
Juana Diesing and Aaspreet Boparai for lateness

65/12 THAT the above apologies be accepted.

66/12 THAT the minutes of the executive meeting held on 28 March 2012 be accepted as a true and correct record.

Te Roopu Maori funding error in 2010 - Lisa asked if OUSA could give TRM a letter explaining this as they are applying for funding. Lisa will see Darel tomorrow.

External Committees - Lisa was asking why it was a Maori Student and Pacific Island Student Advisory Board and not separate boards for each. The Secretary offered to find out the reason and report back.

The Returning Officer's report was emailed around prior to the meeting and also attached to the agenda. The Secretary offered to explain or answer questions on behalf of Sophie Riley as she couldn't make this meeting.

Sophie did a splendid job and made some good recommendations that will be looked into. Sophie will be the Returning Officer for the Referendum and By election coming up before the end of the first semester.

67/12 THAT the Returning Officer's Report for the By Election held between 19 - 21 March 2012 be received.
68/12 THAT the minutes of the OUSA Pacific Island Students Committee Meeting held on 30 March 2012 be received.

As attached.

69/12 THAT Angus McDonald be appointed to the Caroline Plummer Fellowship Selection Committee for 2012.

As attached.

70/12 THAT the OUSA Archery Club's constitutional amendments be approved.

Owing to most of this meeting being confidential Blake couldn't report in detail to the Executive. However, he is going to meet with the Director to discuss the issue of the removal of proxy from the university computers with him.

This meeting was very positive especially the feedback on Hyde Street Keg Party. Student Health was pleased with the decrease in students attending the clinic, especially students not appearing with cuts and injuries from glass this year.

71/12 THAT Darel Hall be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.

It was agreed to set dates for the referendum now as it has to be held in the first semester and there are constitutional requirements with notice period etc. This will also give students an opportunity to submit questions and give the Mediator time to check wording.

The Executive are encouraged to come up with some suitable questions for the referendum. A student has submitted a couple of questions already.

Darel advised that the audited accounts are still being worked through, there were a couple of hold ups with company documents and sign offs. It was hoped the accounts would be audited and presented to the Executive mid-May.

72/12 THAT the Secretary be directed to call a binding Referendum on 28 May 2012 at 9am and closing on 1 June 2012 at 4pm.

73/12 THAT the binding Referendum being held from 9am 28 May 2012 and closing at 4pm on 1 June 2012 be held by electronic means only.

73/12 THAT nominations for the International Students Representative position open at 9am on 14 May 2012 and close at 4pm on 16 May 2012.

74/12 THAT voting for the International Students Representative By Election open at 9am on 28 May 2012 and close at 4pm on 30 May 2012.

75/12 THAT the By Election for the International Students Representative being held 28 - 30 May 2012 be by electronic means only.

Easter trading hours - there was a range of views from the executive about this.

University Games - Otago were placed third overall, won the Fairplay Award and was placed in every sport they entered in.

Planet Media Dunedin Limited - Forgiveness of debt. Darel explained this was merely an accounting formality on PMDL side and the Auditors have requested this be done to tidy things up properly.

76/12 THAT the OUSA executive has agreed to forgive the loan balance totaling $94,179 at 31 December 2011, which is owed from Planet Media Dunedin Limited.

There are no further obligations relating to the forgiveness of this loan.
The loan is made up of: Critic $46,701and Radio One $47,478.

OUSA Annual Plan Submission - the full submission is attached and OUSA have made a request to be heard at this submission hearing.

The OUSA believes the DCC expresses three views that the OUSA supports:

1. That students should view Dunedin as their home while they are here and treat it as such;
2. That there is much more to Dunedin than North Dunedin; and
3. That more graduates should stay in Dunedin creating opportunities for themselves and the City.

Aaspreet arrived at 5.50pm
Debbie arrived at 5.50pm

Darel went through the document he pointed out the original capital plan document is very outdated especially with Mojo's being sold but left it as it was. He informed the meeting the current capital plan had already been authorised through the operational plan.

Moved from the Chair
77/12 THAT Debbie Coulter be granted speaking rights for the duration of this meeting.

The meeting went through the proposed renovations and asked for clarification in some areas.

Logan would envisage a broader redevelopment of the front entrance to make it more inviting if OUSA could afford it.

The toilets need renovated and the costs are very expensive. Debbie explained the first and second floor toilets require a revamp. The top floor toilets and showers were refitted approximately three years ago.

There was varying discussion about the need for a safety rail being erected around the circumference of the main Centre roof. This is only required when maintenance was needed on the roof. At present cranes or cherry pickers were hired so it was agreed Debbie could obtain a price comparison.

Juana arrived at 5.58pm

The cost to replace the present heating system was quoted at over $200,000. This seems very expensive, advice being sought on the best option.

The photo-studio is currently being used for storage by Events. It was suggested by Darel that the unused lockers be relocated to the top floor shower room as soon as possible.

Moved by the Chair
78/12 THAT the Chair be allocated to Jonathan Rowe at 6.06pm.

Logan left at 6.06pm

Craft Room - it had been suggested this be converted into a dance studio, suitable flooring had already been purchased for Mojo's but never used.

Reservations Software purchase - this new system being investigated will be far easier to use and people can book globally in advance. This will be advantageous and enable wider usage.

It was asked if the executive could investigate a way of gauging usage of the Centre. Any ideas get them to Blake Luff please.

To sum up this is phase two of the capital development plan for the executive to consider. All final decisions will be the Executive's to consider Darel explained.

Unipol Recreation Limited - the sale of OUSA's 40% share to the university has almost been finalized. It is requested that the share transfer form for this be common sealed.

79/12 THAT the Common Seal be affixed to the standard share transfer form for Unipol Recreation Limited.

ANZAC Day Services - As many executive members as possible to attend the Dawn service wearing their good attire. Logan will place the wreath at the Cenotaph. The University service begins at 1.30pm. Blake has the food and beverage under control and he will pick up the van to deliver chairs and urns at lunchtime. The Secretary will pick up wreaths for OUSA, the University and Te Roopu Maori on Tuesday afternoon. There was talk of a possible haka but this hasn't been finalized.

Food Bank Appeal (staff vs students) - Matt would appreciate people sitting on the stall at Market Day - Fran to organise a roster.

Volunteers Week - this will be run next week. Juana has been informing all the Colleges. Students are being asked to complete jobs for people around Dunedin as a good initiative to show students in a good light.

Otago Community Hospice Awareness Week - The Secretary has been in contact with them via email and offered to have a list of volunteers collecting for them. The Hospice will get back to us.

University Council Meeting - Jono reported that the Council members expressed favourable comments about OUSA's good work with the ANZAC Service, Volunteer Week and the Staff vs Students Food Bank appeal.

There was a discussion about an economic assessment of OUSA services being carried out. This could have a good flow on to the city. Darel suggested getting advice from David Thompson at the University.

1 May 2012 at 5.15pm

Meeting closed at 6.41pm